ID’d 18th Corps Badge to the 44th Massachusetts Infy.

cylekostello

Hi all, had a great mail day yesterday.
The newest addition to what I’m going to have to start calling the Massachusetts wing of my collection.

Pictured is a very well loved 18th Corps Badge, named to J. W. Cartwright of the 44th Massachusetts infantry. The badge was clearly worn with pride by Private Cartwright as it is extremely worn. In the center it is missing the enameled red diamond which should have Cartwright’s company. In the ribbon is a beautiful guilt Massachusetts state seal. In doing research I’ve come to conclude that these badges are wartime examples. There should be a NEG 44 button atop the ribbon but that has been lost to the ages.

James Weld Cartwright

Cartwright’s First Enlistment (44th Massachusetts)

Cartwright was born on April 3 1842 in Boston Ma. to John and Ellen Cartwright. At age 20 Cartwright enlisted as a corporal in Company E of 44th Massachusetts Infantry. A nine month regiment assigned to the North Carolina coast to hold Burnside’s gains after his corps was recalled to Virginia. In the winter of 1862 the 44th took part in Foster’s Goldsboro Expedition where they were engaged at Rawle’s Mill, Kinston, and Whitehall, in Fosters expedition the 44th lost 8 killed and 28 wounded. In March of 63 the 44th helped lift the siege of Washington NC. Washington was the 44th’s last combat in NC and they mustered out 6/18/63 in Massachusetts.

Cartwright’s Second Enlistment (56th Massachusetts)

However, the young Corporal clearly wasn’t content to sit on the sidelines for the rest of the war. Instead, on August 1 1863 Cartwright was commissioned into Co. C of the 56th Massachusetts.

The 56th was one of four storied Veteran Regiments raised in 1864. Attached to Burnside’s 9th Corps. Enlistees had to have at least nine months prior service. Cartwright’s nine month stint in the 44th qualified him for this hard fighting unit.

In the fall and winter of 1863 Cartwright served as recruiting officer for the 56th. Broadsides with his name can be found online, one was listed at Heritage Auctions a few years back. In recognition of this valuable service Cartwright was promoted to 1st Lt. and then Captain of Co. C.

In March of 1864 the regiment set off for Virginia. Where, unbeknownst, they would be in for a year of brutal combat. The 56th cut their teeth at the Wilderness where they were detached to save Hancock as he withered under Longstreet’s assault. Marching on they were engaged at Spotsylvania, North Anna, Bethesda Church and Cold Harbor.

At Petersburg the 56th continued to play an active role, despite their depleted state. Forming the tip of the spear on the July 17th assault on the confederate works. The 56th has the misfortune to be directly involved in the Battle of the Crater as well. The regiments final combat action came on April 2 1865 where they participated in the final breakthrough at Petersburg.

The 56th mustered out on July 22 1865. In the space of a year they suffered near 12% casualties and Captain Cartwright was with them through it all, save for a brief furlough and hospital stint for illness in late July (7/24) and early August of 1864.

Cartwright’s Post War Life

After the war Captain Cartwright lived a long healthy life. Married twice, he had four children total, three of whom lived to adulthood. Cartwright was an active citizen, a member of GAR Post #113 (Edward W. Kinsey) in Boston. His wife also founded a local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Cartwright passed on August 10 1919 after a long life, lived in service to his state and country.

Hope y’all enjoy this badge as much as I did. Sorry for the long write up! Got a bit carried away

eb9b8874bcdf0954fda4ba0ba7bdcc9a.jpg

6b866e070c21c0eee098aa01888a93e2.jpg

Forgot to add that the Ma. Hist. Society apparently has a photo of Cartwright in their records. I put in a request for a copy and will update the post when I get said copy!

cylekostello
Beautiful Badge with a fantastic history

John

Thanks John, it’s more than a little beat up but I love it!

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cylekostello

Thanks folks! It's a shame it's missing the enamel but the history of it is great.