Seam?

Well, I'm new at this, but as I understand it front seam does indeed indicate WWII manufacture, but some rear seam helmets were manufactured during WWII as well (44-45?)...

All (original) front seamed helmets are original WWII; back seams begin to appear in 1944 I believe.

Greetz ;)

David

All (original) front seamed helmets are original WWII; back seams begin to appear in 1944 I believe.

Yes, the first rear seam helmets were made in November 1944 thumbsup.gif

Yes, the first rear seam helmets were made in November 1944 thumbsup.gif

Is there a published document or book that is pinpointing this date?

I've heard from other collectors that rear seam M1s have been uncovered in archeological digs around the Holland jump site which was in Sept, 1944. So, based off these findings you can deduce that the helmets would have been made prior to Sept 1944 in order to be issued in time for Market Garden.

---Chris

Is there a published document or book that is pinpointing this date?

I've heard from other collectors that rear seam M1s have been uncovered in archeological digs around the Holland jump site which was in Sept, 1944. So, based off these findings you can deduce that the helmets would have been made prior to Sept 1944 in order to be issued in time for Market Garden.

---Chris

That's new to me...

There's not even evidence of the M1C front seam swivel bail helmet used with Market Garden :blink:

I've heard this from a few collectors and I was always meaning to find out exactly where they got this info from. I am searching now and I will update my post if I find the source.

If anyone can beat me to the chase, please let us know and save me the leg work. Thanks.

---Chris

• 2 weeks later...

another sign to look for on a WWII rear seam helmet is the paint texture

WWII rear seam helmets had a rough cork paint [not sand]

sand finish is a sign that it's Korean war or later