video games

CandaceStonestreet86

Blacksmith

Nice!  What platform(s) was that on?  Looks like a mix - maybe NES and SNES? 

I also like the early 6-switch 2600 to the left there.  I don't remember a silver faceplate though - SEARS version?

Blacksmith

I am going to have to look into that.  I've been a huge gamer - video and board - for many years.

I had both of those systems, but don't remember that game.

Off to YouTube I go...

Did you do any of the arcade "war games"?  There was a 3rd-person overhead scroller called "Frontline" that I really enjoyed.

Radio Operator

I'll have to check that one out I used to collect retro a lot, but scaled back a few years ago. While it is not a tank game desert strike is a great helicopter shoot em up for the genesis/SNES. 

Blacksmith
9 minutes ago, CandaceStonestreet86 said:

Yeah that's my Sears telegames one, I have a Jr but need a good Atari heavy 6er

I have my original 6-switch 2600 in a tote in the garage, with a bunch of other classic consoles.

I ended up with an 800XL one year for Christmas (thanks mom and dad), with the external 5.25" floppy drive.  Taught myself BASIC programming with a book.  There was a really good turn-based WWII cartridge game for that platform, called "Eastern Front (1941)".  Whiled away many hours in my room playing that one.

I also remember taking apart one of the 2600 joysticks and rewiring it to left-hand play for my dad, which he was pretty impressed by.  Honestly it was pretty easy once you had the schematic figured out - but keep that between us...  :)

Blacksmith
1 minute ago, Radio Operator said:

I'll have to check that one out I used to collect retro a lot, but scaled back a few years ago. While it is not a tank game desert strike is a great helicopter shoot em up for the genesis/SNES. 

I remember "Desert Strike", and that was definitely ahead of its time.  

Blacksmith

Anybody play the Avalon Hill bookshelf games back in the day?  Most popular was "Squad Leader", but they had a host of them, including expansions like "Cross of Iron", etc.

Super-complicated gaming system, but was awesome.

CandaceStonestreet86

Collecting militaria and video game stuff, this is where it almost blends together...I would like to get one of those SNES training games the recruiter used to bring to my high school, it had a M-16 lightgun controller, that would be it

CandaceStonestreet86
4 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Anybody play the Avalon Hill bookshelf games back in the day?  Most popular was "Squad Leader", but they had a host of them, including expansions like "Cross of Iron", etc.

Super-complicated gaming system, but was awesome.

Never heard of it before, so I googled it, looks really cool!

Blacksmith
3 minutes ago, CandaceStonestreet86 said:

Collecting militaria and video game stuff, this is where it almost blends together...I would like to get one of those SNES training games the recruiter used to bring to my high school, it had a M-16 lightgun controller, that would be it

Jeez, I'd never heard of that, but thanks Dr. Google:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/06/29/m-a-c-s-rifles-snes-laser-m16s/

Way after my time. I was chasing girls by then. I played friend's Atari and Intellivision in jr high and high school for a minute but never had one at home. There was only so much of that you could do - not like today where kids live on the stuff.

Now I occasionally play PC FPS games but the kids now are quite "toxic", as they themselves say. Players are very entitled and complain a lot about the simplest things.

Times have changed! We were happy that the technology even existed.

I had many of the Avalon Hill games back in the late 70s and early 80s. I had Squad Leader, Cross of Iron and Crescendo of Doom, as mentioned they were very complicated and lengthy games to play. I had several others including Starship Troopers, Dune, and Victory at Sea. When I sold them they brought decent money as some are quite collectible.   Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely enjoyed the Call of Duty WW2 games, not the newest one as much as the older classic. Medal of Honor was good, but the best WW2 games in my opinion were the first 2 Brothers in Arms games for the original Xbox.

CandaceStonestreet86
4 hours ago, MKnopfler said:

Definitely enjoyed the Call of Duty WW2 games, not the newest one as much as the older classic. Medal of Honor was good, but the best WW2 games in my opinion were the first 2 Brothers in Arms games for the original Xbox.

Brother's in Arms was the best. To be able to control your squad was quite unique.

• 3 months later...