WW1 Quartermaster Corps Stenographer Uniform

cwnorma

I have had this uniform, medal, and insignia archive in my collection since the 1980s. The uniform has laundry labels inside all the pieces with the name Boegehold. Research determined her full name to be Winifred Boegehold from Mount Vernon, NY. Ms Boegehold was one of approximately 30 Quartermaster Corps and Ordinance Department Stenographers who volunteered, went to France, and served with the AEF. The Stenographers were granted Veteran status along with the Signal Corps Telephone Operators and WASPs in 1977.  Unfortunately, Ms Boegehold did not live to see this recognition, having passed away in 1975.

Boegehold2.jpg.7e061829059b37aa408e84202ad1bf71.jpg

Recently, Boegehold's alma mater, Barnard College made scans of many of their older yearbooks available on line. A quick review, and eureka!  After decades of owning this archive, and on-again, off-again research, I had finally came "face to face" with Ms Boegehold!  Furthermore, to my great astonishment, the yearbook photos of Ms Boegehold clearly matched an illustration in "Dressed for Duty Vol 2" (Halcomb Smith, 2004, p. 62)!  In the accompanying caption, Jill Halcomb Smith even mentions the "unidentified insignia" which can be seen amongst the medals and insignia below:

Boegehold.jpg.476bb6c7e328b943c14b428e5dfdb178.jpg

In "Dressed for Duty Vol 2" Halcomb-Smith gives credit to a third party for the image of Ms Boegehold in uniform.  Does anyone reading here happen to own this image?  If so, please PM me.  I would love to obtain a higher resolution scan.

Warm regards.

Chris

Salvage Sailor

Very unique uniform and seldom seen in this condition.

Thanks for posting this one.

Chris,

Thank you kindly for posting this uniform. I acquired just the jacket of a QM stenographer from Bay State Militaria a few months back. It has a direct embroidered QM insignia which fortunately is fully intact. The right sleeve will require professional conservation as something (probably a rodent) took a chunk out of it. Unfortunately it isn't named and it had no hat or skirt. I do appreciate the images your shared as now maybe I can find an equivalent hat and add the insignia to achieve the full effect. 

In your research did you happen upon the other QM stenographer names by chance? If it's possible I'd love to put a name to my uniform to find out more about this courageous woman. I appreciate your help. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to discuss further. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 4:29 PM, cwnorma said:

@Major Z,

How is your search going?  Did the list help?

Chris

Chris,

Thank you so much for the list. It's very beneficial to try and narrow down who may have owned my uniform. I injured my foot earlier this week so that's been a bummer in doing research. I need to send it off to a specialized tailor in Nebraska that can hopefully work on the rodent bite. I will take some photos for you soon. Sorry for the delayed response!

That is one great uniform. An impressive woman and a smart one having gone to Barnard. Amazing to see how her history all came together. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2021 at 4:06 PM, sundance said:

That is one great uniform. An impressive woman and a smart one having gone to Barnard. Amazing to see how her history all came together. 

@sundance,

Sorry, I missed this comment.  Ms Boegehold was indeed quite a remarkable woman.  Before the war she worked full time on Barnard's staff.  After the war, she was an associate of Eleanor Roosevelt and charter member of the League of Women Voters.  A professional stenographer, she worked for a time for Powers Hapgood--early labor movement leader, and advocate for the Sacco and Vanzetti trial.  She was a patron of the arts in New York City until she passed away.

According to arrival and departure records of the US Customs Service, She and her sister traveled abroad often.

Chris