746th Railway Operating Bn WWII

NobleLoyalGSD

NobleLoyalGSD

This is long overdue, but I'm finally posting what remains of my uncle's WWII service in the US Army's 746th ROB.

I was very young when he passed away. What I have, I received from my aunt who passed these items on to me as a teenager who was interested in any military history "stuff".

From my aunt's description of him, he was quite a hell raiser. She alleged that he lost his buck sergeant stripes three times and for the life of her couldn't figure out how he had received good conduct medals. I have a number of candid photos which I'll include in the Ephemera and Photos section of the forum. Link here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=31742

Both my aunt and mom said he was a tough, feisty drinker but my only real vivid memory of him was how tender-hearted he was visiting me regularly in the hospital when I was sick as a dog after I had my tonsils removed in the 4th grade. He passed away a few years later.

Here's to you, Uncle Charlie!

Photo 1: Framed charcoal portraits and his medals

post-1759-1233717401.jpg

NobleLoyalGSD

Photo 4: Ike closeup

Don't know why the MP branch insignia or why he had an officer's style garrison cap with signal(?) piping.

post-1759-1233717588.jpg

NobleLoyalGSD

Misc items: money, sweetheart/souvenir bracelets, pins etc. Can anyone translate the German on the metal plate? I have no idea why he kept this.

post-1759-1233718116.jpg

NobleLoyalGSD

Misc photos of interest:

Upper left photo "Munich from my room"

Lower left photo "Der Fuhrer"

Bottom right "A few Russians doing the last stretch"

I apologize for the morbid humor but that is what is written on the back.

Click here for more photos from this grouping: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=31742

post-1759-1233718290.jpg

NobleLoyalGSD

Graphic "postcards"

I have five of these but I'm only posting two. I don't know what these were used for but they seemed to have been made into postcards as grim reminders of the Nazi atrocities at Dachau. These were among my uncles possessions from his wartime experience.

post-1759-1233718673.jpg

FightenIrish35

That is a really nice framjob you did there....and boy you wernt kidding saying those photos were morbid...shame that it happened ermm.gif

1st AAA Group

Nice Ike you have there. While in Germany on occupation duties the 746th ROB was servicing the Munich area until it was inactivated Feb, 1946.

I will try and post a similar jacket tomorrow on the uniform forum which belonged to a member of the 766th Railway Shop Battalion.

Very nice how you honored your family here! The postcards are a morbid reminder of one of the many things that were stopped with the liberation!

• 2 months later...
Guest thebell
Photo 4: Ike closeup

Don't know why the MP branch insignia or why he had an officer's style garrison cap with signal(?) piping.

The signal badge was their unit badge - Company C engineers I think, and maybe signalmen. My dad was in the same unit - they shipped troops to the front. AD-SEC means Advance Security. My father died in 1990, but never talked about the war. After the war during the occupation, they shipped German prisoners in open gondolas to Nuremberg and to holding pens. The Russians hung the Nazi's who joined Hitler to fight against Stalin, regarding them as traitors. Many Russian-born Nazi's hung them selves or dived under moving trains, because Stalin had Roosevelt's permission to have them and they knew they would be tortured and killed.

I see your uncle has two bronze stars on his lapel campaign stripes. He must have known my dad, who was also a Sargent in the same unit, same time, same places.

The signal badge was their unit badge - Company C engineers I think, and maybe signalmen. My dad was in the same unit - they shipped troops to the front. AD-SEC means Advance Security. My father died in 1990, but never talked about the war. After the war during the occupation, they shipped German prisoners in open gondolas to Nuremberg and to holding pens. The Russians hung the Nazi's who joined Hitler to fight against Stalin, regarding them as traitors. Many Russian-born Nazi's hung them selves or dived under moving trains, because Stalin had Roosevelt's permission to have them and they knew they would be tortured and killed.

I see your uncle has two bronze stars on his lapel campaign stripes. He must have known my dad, who was also a Sargent in the same unit, same time, same places.

He could have been in the signal corps when he initially joined the Army and just kept/worn the cap. The MRS was officially part of the TC in 1942.

AD SEC means Advanced Sector; it was a logistical area in COM Z.

There is no "signal badge" on the uniform.

If your dad was also in the 746th ROB, Company C, as with all other ROBs, was the train crews - and locomotive engineers are a different MOS from combat or construction engineers. The 746th ROB was also one of a few ROBs that had a Company D, w/ train crews to operate electric trains.

The campaign stars on the ribbon refer to participation in two campaigns. Bronze Stars are medals awarded for exemplary service or meritorious combat.

"The Russians hung the Nazis who joined Hitler to fight against Stalin, regarding them as traitors". Do you mean to say that the Soviets killed those Russians who fought with the Werhmacht? Not every German soldier was a Nazi. The Germans forced many men living in conquered areas to join the Werhmacht (there were Fins, Romanians, Norwegians and other nations also in the German Army). The Soviets also killed those Russian soldiers who were POWs of the Germans. I am deliberately differentiating between the Soviet (or Coummunist) goverment and the Russian people.

• 7 months later...
Misc items: money, sweetheart/souvenir bracelets, pins etc. Can anyone translate the German on the metal plate? I have no idea why he kept this.

The plate has something to do with not removing engine folds or flaps (some sort of cowling perhaps?) while being jacked up....off of some aircraft it would seem......

I think the DUI's in your Uncle's unit are one of the coolest I have ever seen....REALLY neat...!!