Wear of Airship Pilot Badge in 1936

mysteriousoozlefinch

mysteriousoozlefinch

If this is the wrong forum, I'll definitely take down/move it.

I was looking through some CCC camp photos from Weber State University and noticed that the CO of Company 3240 at Murray, UT in 1936 was wearing an Airship Pilot badge.  He was, at the time, 1st Lt. William J. McCracken.  Fullsize photo and closeup below.  Lt. McCracken shows up in a few sources I've found, training at Ross Field with free balloons in 1921 and called up for active duty with the 19th Airship Company at Langley Field in 1929.

Source: Cadet at Ross Field

Source: Training at Langley Field

spacer.png

spacer.png

5thwingmarty

You have good eyes to spot that in such a photo.  It appears from the Sam Browne belt he was also a WWI vet.

It's a restrike! 😉

Really cool pic of CCC guys - how many must have served valiantly in the upcoming war. I have a thing for the CCC and WPA. Much of their work is still standing.

You do wonder how McCracken was assigned to that role.

mysteriousoozlefinch
13 hours ago, 5thwingmarty said:

You have good eyes to spot that in such a photo.  It appears from the Sam Browne belt he was also a WWI vet.

It was a bit easier zoomed in to full!  I was looking for CCC insignia but noticed the wings on their commander and took a closer look.

13 hours ago, dmar836 said:

It's a restrike! 😉

Really cool pic of CCC guys - how many must have served valiantly in the upcoming war. I have a thing for the CCC and WPA. Much of their work is still standing.

You do wonder how McCracken was assigned to that role.

In other photos I've seen Cavalry, Infantry, Signal Corps, and Field Artillery.  What really surprises me is that a chunk of USCG Warrant Officers were assigned to the CCC, mostly at District HQs in admin roles.

McCracken was apparently a New Yorker, after doing some digging, and had quite the interesting time when on extended active duty at Langley field.  He was on active duty in 1941 as a Captain involved with the Air Cadet program.

1931 Air Corps newsletter covering some of his service.

Popular Mechanics article with photo of a near disasterous flight in Army Airship TC-10.