Argentinian Air Force Pilot Wing, Named to USAF Officer

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

An interesting wing. Named to Lt Colonel Earl Oren Olmstead who graduated West Point in 1946 and was stationed in Argentina from 1960-62 as part of the USAF Mission to Argentina.

20210603_190625_resized.jpg

20210603_190658_resized.jpg

34 minutes ago, Austin_Militaria said:

An interesting wing. Named to Lt Colonel Earl Oren Olmstead who graduated West Point in 1946 and was stationed in Argentina from 1960-62 as part of the USAF Mission to Argentina.

20210603_190625_resized.jpg

20210603_190658_resized.jpg

very nice piece, thanks for showing

rathbonemuseum.com

That is a cool looking piece. High quality presentation style. I love seeing these honorary wings engraved. 

Cool beans.  Some of the South American wings are lovely.  There is an interesting and mixed-bag history between the US and many of these countries.  The US helped establish various Air Forces going back to the end of WWI. Sometimes with better results, sometime with worse.  I echo what Tod says.  Great wing.

• 2 years later...

It made my day to find this post!! Lt. Colonel Earl Oren Olmstead Jr. was my Grandfather. He graduated from West Point in 1943 and was flying missions over Romania soon after. He also flew missions in Korea and Vietnam and served as base commander in several locations around the world. He was indeed on a mission to Argentina, and I would guess the wings were a gift from his Argentinean counterparts. I am posting a few photos for reference. 

Earl at West Point.jpg

img049.jpg

img121.jpg

img144.jpg

img331.jpg

img341.jpg

img390.jpg

Lt. Col. Earl Oren Olmstead Jr.jpg

9 hours ago, Byronos said:

It made my day to find this post!! Lt. Colonel Earl Oren Olmstead Jr. was my Grandfather. He graduated from West Point in 1943 and was flying missions over Romania soon after. He also flew missions in Korea and Vietnam and served as base commander in several locations around the world. He was indeed on a mission to Argentina, and I would guess the wings were a gift from his Argentinean counterparts. I am posting a few photos for reference. 

Earl at West Point.jpg

img049.jpg

img121.jpg

img144.jpg

img331.jpg

img341.jpg

img390.jpg

Lt. Col. Earl Oren Olmstead Jr.jpg

Your post and your grandfather's experience are so interesting!

He appeared to be wearing an aeronautical engineer's B-1 suit next to the plane(ryan ST ?).

I had heard that it was also used for flight training, but this is the first time I have seen clear photos.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this photo of my Grandfather, Earl Oren Olmstread, Jr., during his mission in Argentina circa 1960. His wife and my Grandmother, Josephine, is 4th from right.  You can see the same wings on the Argentine Officers. 

Argentina 1960.jpg