Name tapes

ClintEastwood

ClintEastwood

What styles of name tapes did they have in the Vietnam war typically for a pattern 3 jacket? Was there any difference between branch name tapes?

Steve Brannan

Usually on a type 3 there were local tailor shop names and US Army tapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClintEastwood

Oh also I mostly meant what did they look like, cause I see a lot of different nametape materials, colors, and designs. 

ClintEastwood

But I still would like to know about the actual process behind the tapes with the persons name.

Cobra 6 Actual

This might be off topic, Clint, but I suspect you’ll find it useful. That being said, in my line infantry unit (and during my time with it in 1968-1969) we did not wear name tags in the field.

The reason was a simple practical one: The uniforms issued to infantry units only had our division shoulder patch pre-sewn on and the US Army tag pre-sewn on. We’d wear these uniforms for however long we were out on an operation (anytime from a couple of days to many days). When we returned we stunk and our uniforms stunk, so at our first opportunity we would "DX" these uniforms (I believe "DX" was for "Distribution and Exchange"): essentially, you went to supply and picked up a clean jacket from a pile of the correct size; then, did the same for the trousers. Later, after a shower (hopefully, a hot one; but usually not), you would drop off the smelly uniforms in another pile. They'd be cleaned and re-distributed. So, since infantry units got issued these uniforms with only the US Army tags and division patches we didn’t bother to pay a mama-san to have our own name tags sewn on. 

So, the uniforms weren't personally issued to us and we had absolutely no expectation of getting the same clothes back. Why pay to have a CIB or jump wings or a name tape sewn on? And, anyway, we were in the boonies ... come on, we all knew who we were (except for the FNG’s ... and we all knew who they were, too). 

As for other insignia worn in the field, other than name tags, some guys put subdued metal rank on their collars, some put’em on their helmets, some did both, some did neither. One FNG even went out in the field ... once ... with his silver jump wings on. When someone informed him that those wings over his heart made an excellent aiming point for an NVA or VC sniper he quickly removed them.

Now, the situation changed completely when we got out of the field (say, close to the end of one's tour of duty). The uniforms were personally issued to us and we would have the full group of insignia we were entitled to on our uniforms: anyone that had earned a CIB wore it proudly, ditto for jump wings, rank insignia, and so on. And, yes, name tags were worn then, too. 

Guys assigned only to the rear areas, on the other hand, usually had fully “badged up” uniforms.

And, keep in mind, folks, that what one Battalion or Division did could be entirely different than another.

7 minutes ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

This might be off topic, Clint, but I suspect you’ll find it useful. That being said, in my line infantry unit (and during my time with it in 1968-1969) we did not wear name tags in the field.

The reason was a simple practical one: The uniforms issued to infantry units only had our division shoulder patch pre-sewn on and the US Army tag pre-sewn on. We’d wear these uniforms for however long we were out on an operation (anytime from a couple of days to many days). When we returned we stunk and our uniforms stunk, so at our first opportunity we would "DX" these uniforms (I believe "DX" was for "Distribution and Exchange"): essentially, you went to supply and picked up a clean jacket from a pile of the correct size; then, did the same for the trousers. Later, after a shower (hopefully, a hot one; but usually not), you would drop off the smelly uniforms in another pile. They'd be cleaned and re-distributed. So, since infantry units got issued these uniforms with only the US Army tags and division patches we didn’t bother to pay a mama-san to have our own name tags sewn on. 

So, the uniforms weren't personally issued to us and we had absolutely no expectation of getting the same clothes back. Why pay to have a CIB or jump wings or a name tape sewn on? And, anyway, we were in the boonies ... come on, we all knew who we were (except for the FNG’s ... and we all knew who they were, too). 

As for other insignia worn in the field, other than name tags, some guys put subdued metal rank on their collars, some put’em on their helmets, some did both, some did neither. One FNG even went out in the field ... once ... with his silver jump wings on. When someone informed him that those wings over his heart made an excellent aiming point for an NVA or VC sniper he quickly removed them.

Now, the situation changed completely when we got out of the field (say, close to the end of one's tour of duty). The uniforms were personally issued to us and we would have the full group of insignia we were entitled to on our uniforms: anyone that had earned a CIB wore it proudly, ditto for jump wings, rank insignia, and so on. And, yes, name tags were worn then, too. 

Guys assigned only to the rear areas, on the other hand, usually had fully “badged up” uniforms.

And, keep in mind, folks, that what one Battalion or Division did could be entirely different than another.

That's very helpful information, thanks! It's always nice to get first hand information on these things from a soldier who was in the mix.  : )

ClintEastwood

Wow, thank you for the story. And most importantly thank you for your service. That makes a lot of sense though that there would be very little insignia.

ClintEastwood

While it is more practical and possibly more accurate I do like the look of CIB, jump wings, and name tapes. of course if I myself were fighting in Vietnam I would not wear any of those like you guys did. But for re-enactments and just for collection I prefer to have all those things on. And again thank you for your service, and your story.

ClintEastwood

What unit were you in by the way? And what was Vietnam like? If you’re willing to share go ahead and message me, I’d love to hear all your stories and memories.

Cobra 6 Actual
5 minutes ago, ClintEastwood said:

You’re welcome. I was in B Company, 1st Battalion, 2nd Infantry of the 1st Infantry Division in 1968-1969.