WWII Canteen - US/American-issued or from elsewhere?

NightHawk21

NightHawk21

Hi there - I've had no luck finding anything that closely resembles this WWII canteen. I don't have exact measurements, but I'd say it's around 12-14" tall. 

I've attached several images of this. On the canteen are several locations/places, drawings & word engravings. 

The location order is as follows:

New York Jan ’45

Le Havre

Totes

Baucquille

Avricourt

Zweirbrucken

Idor Oberstein

Homberg

Weyerbusch

Siegburg

Dellbruck

Mettman

Bamberg

Nurnberg

Eschanau

Parsberg

Regensburg

Plattling

Other images/words include:

13 Black Cats (with badge drawing)

Marine:Raven (drawing)

S.S. Black (drawing)

Brussels (Jeep drawing)

Tann Branau (Tank drawing)

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? 

My apologies in advance if this is not US-issued and should be posted on the World Militaria Forum instead. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Cody

IMG_4598.PNG

IMG_4597.PNG

IMG_4596.PNG

IMG_4595 3.PNG

milsurp_scout_14

Well it's definitely not a US-issue water canteen. I'm not even sure it was for water. But it does have a US unit marked on it (13th Armored Division), and the travel log closely matches the info I've found online about the division's movements, starting with landing at Le Havre, France on January 29th, 1945. I'd have to guess it was used by a US soldier in that unit.

NightHawk21

Hi milsurp_scout_14 - Thank you; yes, it does appear to follow that unit’s movements throughout the war. 

Hi Steve - it’s definitely some sort of metal. If I had to guess, it could be brass based on the weight (heavy for its size) and feel. 

Thank you,

Cody

CavalryCombatant

Could it be some sort of tank? I.e. propane or another gas you wouldn’t carry in a larger container.  (No factual evidence here, just guessing.)

NightHawk21

I’m not ruling that out either, CavalryCombatant. It could be propane - or another gas - or oxygen (maybe too small for that?). I’ll work on getting the actual dimensions and follow up with that. 

Thank you, everyone. 

CavalryCombatant
11 minutes ago, NightHawk21 said:

I’m not ruling that out either, CavalryCombatant. It could be propane - or another gas - or oxygen (maybe too small for that?). I’ll work on getting the actual dimensions and follow up with that. 

Thank you, everyone. 

A quick search would reveal that the luftwaffe oxygen tank appears to be about the correct shape, not sure of the size but figured I’d bring it up. 

Even could’ve been modified to be a water canteen, if so that’d be pretty cool!

If I haven’t mentioned, I love the engravings!

image.jpeg

NightHawk21

Attaching some more images and sharing some more info on this:

- One image showing the size comparison vs a 20 oz plastic soda bottle

- One image showing the bottom of the canteen/cylinder. It's more easily seen in person, but it says "Unis France" with an "11/" below

- Doing a reverse image search I was able to find a few that very closely resemble this one...

• These images state "Porron de aluminio." A (glass) Porron seems more like a fancier wine pitcher, although I suppose this term is subject to one's interpretation globally as aluminum containers were being manufactured around the world. 
  • The canteens/cylinders in these pictures have what appears to be an almost identical 'bottleneck'

Just thought I'd share a quick update with everyone. Thank you. 

2021-06-07_08-42-52.png

2021-06-07_08-28-00.png

2021-06-07_08-34-03.png

2021-06-07_08-30-15.png