Unusual Rating Patch

digi-shots

digi-shots

I’ve seem homemade, heavy stitched and bullion... but never saw anything like this.

Not just beaded but a black sequins background.

Could this actually been worn?

B32AB31B-DCEC-4033-8AF9-2432FD98959F.jpeg.3f783a624dd0540e746f4fd19ddc0704.jpeg

That's pretty interesting. Never seen something like that before but it's pretty cool. I doubt it was ever worn though. Compared to regular and theater-made patches this thing would stand out and have every Chief in a 100 mile radius on your butt. 

Looking at the back, it looks like one of those thick rates made from the 1970s. Probably something someone did for a costume. 

My wild guess is someone made it for a WAVE veteran to put on a handbag or some fashion accessory. Is it closer to  two inches wide or three? It's a really cool piece, anyway.

So, this would never have been worn on a uniform. It was done fire some “Civilian Application”.   A costume, a bag, something. Either way, a lot of work. 

digi-shots

Thanks, there are two of them - a pair I assume... currently on eBay.  They are not mine, but just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out on some rare variation!😀

• 4 months later...

I would never say never. I had a WWII beaded 41st Division, made by the Yakima Indians, on an enlisted 1st sergeant's tunic, that I bought from the vet. He did indeed wear it. This does look a little lesser in quality, and a bit "costumey", but I cringe at the "never" word when it comes to insignia. 

19 hours ago, Chris said:

I would never say never. I had a WWII beaded 41st Division, made by the Yakima Indians, on an enlisted 1st sergeant's tunic, that I bought from the vet. He did indeed wear it. This does look a little lesser in quality, and a bit "costumey", but I cringe at the "never" word when it comes to insignia. 

WW2 was a different world. When the base patch of this was made, it was the mid 1970s. These were specifically made for the “New Uniforms” (suit and tie, CPO style). The Navy was seriously cracking down on individuality with “Dress Uniforms” we tried, and slid with some things. But this, don’t think so. 

TheCrustyBosun
On 10/9/2021 at 1:21 AM, Chris said:

My thoughts immediately turned to Native Americans when I saw the wampum beads on this. The sequins are a different story. I can’t imagine anyone seriously applying this to a uniform. Well….

42 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

My thoughts immediately turned to Native Americans when I saw the wampum beads on this. The sequins are a different story. I can’t imagine anyone seriously applying this to a uniform. Well….

At the time the base patch was manufactured, most Sailors had lost interest in “Dressing Up” their uniforms. We never wore them. Dress uniform was something that sat in a locker and we drug out for an inspection or some sort of watch. Many Sailors never wore them their i tire enlistment I knew lots of guys who were E-5, packing their lockers as their enlistment was up, tossing out never worn uniforms with no insignia on them at all why go to the expense of buying it and having it put on if you know your never going to wear it?  So, this pretty much has been turned into a civilian fashion piece. 

Salvage Sailor
5 hours ago, sigsaye said:

At the time the base patch was manufactured, most Sailors had lost interest in “Dressing Up” their uniforms. We never wore them. Dress uniform was something that sat in a locker and we drug out for an inspection or some sort of watch. Many Sailors never wore them their i tire enlistment I knew lots of guys who were E-5, packing their lockers as their enlistment was up, tossing out never worn uniforms with no insignia on them at all why go to the expense of buying it and having it put on if you know your never going to wear it?  So, this pretty much has been turned into a civilian fashion piece. 

Aye Steve, so true

1970's Issued uniform items I rarely wore.....

The stupid 'Salt & Pepper', or Ice Cream Vendor / Doorman uniform.  I wore the tropical short sleeved version with the combination cap on watch but ditched the rest of it.

The equally stupid Utility work uniforms including the Utility ballcap.  I only kept the Work Jacket, best item in the whole ensemble.

The Peacoat.  Wore it a few times in Europe & Canada on Shore Patrol and Watch.  (Still have this one, although they made me change the buttons from the large blue anchors to the smaller silver eagles.  I left the one Anchor button which could not be seen under the collar flap for spite.....)

Issued uniform items I never wore or used.

The navy blue wool long sleeved shirt.

The navy blue/black 'Johnny Cash' long sleeved shirt.

The navy blue wool sweater & vinyl gloves

The Raincoat.

The black tie.

The garment bag.

That looks like a civilian costume 'rating badge'. It's popular (don't ask me why, because I don't have the answer) around LA for some people to have really dressed up pseudo military style fashion jackets, coats. Entertainment purposes only sort of thing. Usually with a lot of shiny 'bling' on it. This rate reminds me of one Michael Jackson wore about 15 years ago in a few interviews (it was a left arm PO rate like this). 

5 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

Aye Steve, so true

1970's Issued uniform items I rarely wore.....

The stupid 'Salt & Pepper', or Ice Cream Vendor / Doorman uniform.  I wore the tropical short sleeved version with the combination cap on watch but ditched the rest of it.

The equally stupid Utility work uniforms including the Utility ballcap.  I only kept the Work Jacket, best item in the whole ensemble.

The Peacoat.  Wore it a few times in Europe & Canada on Shore Patrol and Watch.  (Still have this one, although they made me change the buttons from the large blue anchors to the smaller silver eagles.  I left the one Anchor button which could not be seen under the collar flap for spite.....)

Issued uniform items I never wore or used.

The navy blue wool long sleeved shirt.

The navy blue/black 'Johnny Cash' long sleeved shirt.

The navy blue wool sweater & vinyl gloves

The Raincoat.

The black tie.

The garment bag.

I agree!  Though, over those 8 long years, I wore all of them at least once. I had to go out and buy all that crap. I wore the black shirt once on SP. so, I put a crow on one.   I kept the dress blue suit, and when I made Chief, converted it over. I gave it away when I retired. I’m sure, some collector will end up with it and argue that Chiefs, indeed were “Issued” uniforms, because they have a CPO uniform with a DSA tag and stock number! 🤣