Cal .30 Ammo Crate Markings

FTLewisBrat

FTLewisBrat

Picked up this (unfortunately empty) Korean War era ammo crate today.  I think I've got a pretty good grasp on all the markings except for the "TAEKL".  I looked around but haven't been able to come up with anything... Does anyone know what that designation means?

Thanks!

20210601_194416.jpg

20210601_194427.jpg

TAEKL is the "Ammunition Identification Code" used from the end of WWII until about 1954.  It was intended to simplify the procurement system, in that only the five digit alpha numeric AIC needed to be transmitted for requisitioning more ammo.  Each digit identified something specific, including caliber, type, packaging, etc. "T" indicated small arms ammunition. The second alpha was numeric also, converting from (I think) one to the other sometime in early fifties.  Searching AIC will give you a more complete listing.

FTLewisBrat

Thanks"Ammunition Identification Code" is the Google phrase I needed... searching TAEKL did me no good.

Not familiar with that AIC but API isn’t that common. The ammo is dated 1953 as one of the dealers was selling some of the stuff a few years ago. 

• 2 years later...
Jeepboy43

Hi there!

I just saw the photos of your great looking ammo crate.

I am trying to recreate crates from this era and was hoping you might be able to upload a photo of the top that shows the printing on it.   That would enable me to order stencils to complete the crate.

Thanks so much,

Pat

The crate posted by otter42 was "around" for much longer indicated by the FSN stenciled on the front and the paint over the AIC.