Fleet Air Photographic Squadron (VD-1) Grouping

Zepeleptic

Zepeleptic

Harold Meyers was born 1906 in Muskegon Michigan to a newly arrived Dutch immigrant family who soon relocated to the West Coast, specifically to Redlands, California. While growing up in California, he enjoyed going on road trips with his sisters all around the Western U.S., which they documented in many photo albums, and goofing off around the numerous dutch farmlands in the region.  

After graduating from the University of Redlands in 1928 he joined the growing Air Corps in 1929 and underwent flight instruction at the Air Corps Primary Flying School at March Field in Riverside, California. While he was disqualified from service and honorably discharged for failing to complete the required training, when war found its way to American after Pearl Harbor he rejoined the service. Enlisting in the Navy in 1942, he took part in Photographic Interpretation and Air Combat Intelligence Training and joined the Fleet Air Photograph Squadron (VD-1). This grouping, which consists of about 300 photos and documents, is special to me. Harold Meyers was a member of my family, and it was the first grouping I ever acquired many years ago from my grandfather. 

As a member of VD-1, Harold was a part of an incredible machine that risked life and limb to gather photographic intelligence on the Japanese positions in the South Pacific. Thankfully for us, Harold kept copies of the meticulous records that VD-1 made to document this process (continued on next post). 

Scan 40.jpeg

38.2.jpg

Scan 71.jpg

Scan 79.jpg

Zepeleptic

Loading and handling the photographic equipment of VD-1 was no easy task, requiring great teamwork within the unit to load, capture, and process in a timely manner, providing important support to the bombing missions over Japanese territory.  Eventually stationed on Guam island, VD-1's missions took them all over the South Pacific, losing several heroes along the way. For their service, many men of VD-1 were awarded for heroism in duty and the unit received a commendation from Admiral Nimitz as well. I dedicate this post to Harold Meyers, who continued to serve his country after the war in the Forest Service, and the many brave men of VD-1 with whom he served. 

Scan 73.jpeg

Scan 97.jpeg

Scan 32.jpeg

Scan 81.jpeg

Scan 17.jpeg

pararaftanr2

Great photographs of an unsung unit, thanks for sharing them. More would be welcome, particularly of the crews in flight gear. Thanks again!

Great photos, thanks for sharing. These aerial cameras are huge!

Another one shot of VD-1 squadron

image.png.cc81821bf70b322a536ad529a66ed3d9.png

Take care, Jerry

Zepeleptic
12 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Great photographs of an unsung unit, thanks for sharing them. More would be welcome, particularly of the crews in flight gear. Thanks again!

Glad you enjoy them - Here are two more, hope you like these as well. 

Scan 87.jpg

Scan 103.jpg

Zepeleptic
9 hours ago, jerry_k said:

Great photos, thanks for sharing. These aerial cameras are huge!

Another one shot of VD-1 squadron

image.png.cc81821bf70b322a536ad529a66ed3d9.png

Take care, Jerry

Thanks for sharing that one Jerry, I haven't seen it before. Really enjoy seeing all photos of this unit, not too many are posted online. 

• 1 year later...

I am looking for the photo archives of VD 5- they made many photo runs over Iwo Jima before the battle. Any idea where they might be? What islands were covered by VD 1?