What I believe to be an original (Aussie made) 51st Defense Bn. Bullion Patch

Eric Queen

Eric Queen

They do fake the patch (in bullion) but to me the quality/workmanship is quite different. 

51st A.jpg

51st.jpg

Eric Queen

Thanks Kevin but only the top patch is mine. All the Paki fakes were part of a recent auction. 

They look close but I believe mine is original in comparison to the Paki fake. 

51 DB obv.jpg

51st.jpg

Oh good grief, thanks Eric. I have never studied these and figured you had amassed yet another remarkable collection. Anyway, the 51st is just gorgeous. Kevin

mortaydc60

Thanks for sharing but it maybe of more help to members if you could show/explain the differences on the 51st ,because looking at the front of the patches it is not that apparent atleast to me ,while on the other Paki examples it is pretty clear. Perhaps the difference can be seen on the back?

Mort

Eric Queen

Unfortunately the auction did not provide images of the reverses Mort. It's difficult for me to point to any specifics other than what I said. The workmanship just looks better/tighter/straighter on mine. These are the only two I have ever seen and I certainly agree with you that it is not a typical Paki looking patch. The weird thing is both could be fakes or both could be originals. I honestly don't know as I have not ever seen another example. Maybe the one from the auction is real and it just got lumped in with the other bullion patches.

Perhaps someone here will know (someone may have seen others of these)

Eric Queen

Look at post # 67. Originally sold on eBay for $418 in 2009.

I bought it from a forum sponsor (dealer) for $100 less than that. To me it still looks good but seeing the one in the auction kind of threw me. 

Bill Scott

Eric I think yours is real and without seeing the back of the other there is no real way to know.If I were to guess I think it has possibilities.Scotty

mortaydc60

Thanks Scotty for your insight and opinion. Since we cannot see the back of the one but can see the fronts, what are the differences? I do not see any at all unless you cosider condition. The same style and placement is the same, even the number of pieces is exactly the same in making the letters and numbers. To my eye the fronts are identical and that is all I am saying,so as Eric has said they could both be real or both be fake.

Mort

Eric Queen

Thanks Bill for your thoughts on this. I appreciate it. 

I took a look around and it would seem that the person who bought the lot put the patch on eBay with "doesn't glow, could be real" in the description. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254988966155?nma=true&si=ozTtbUN5yvdkBv1VOGIjpre2tFE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks like it ran 3 times for 30 bucks with no takers. 

Good photos of the front and back. Mort, you can see better now what I mean by a difference in workmanship. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Bill Scott

Eric after seeing the scans of this one there is no comparison I think yours is real and the second one a fake.Scotty

• 2 weeks later...

As a quick follow up to this, it is weird how things happen. A couple days after this thread started my friend Steve (The Mick) spotted what looked like another original on eBay.

Photos were crappy but it definitely looked exactly like mine. 

51 DB a.jpg

Starting bid was $119 and I got it for $127 (only one other bidder)

I got it yesterday and it is the exact twin of mine. I am convinced that both are 100% original. Weird how things come in pairs sometimes. Couldn't pass it up for that. 

51 obv0002.jpg

51 rev0002.jpg