Dr. A. F. Barrow M.C.

4th Miss Cav

4th Miss Cav

I was set up today at a toy soldier show in South Louisiana.  A man walks up holding a WWI figure.  He asked if I had any interest in it.  I said yes sir WWI and WWII are my main interest and I also collect militaria from this time period.  He then tells me he has his grandfathers uniform from WWI and would I be interested in it.  Of course.  I have heard this plenty of times through the years and nothing usually comes of it.  30 minutes later he comes back with a plastic tote with the items below in it.  I asked him how much he wanted for it and he tells me nothing.  I want to give it to you.  That was one of those moments when you really don't know what to say.  He told me he had no children and he wanted someone to have it that would appreciate it.  All he asked was for me to donate $25.00 to the local humane society which I will gladly do.  He took my card and said he has other items to go along with the the uniform and about 50 more WWI figures.  I have never had this happen especially from a complete stranger.  The veteran was Dr. A. F. Barrow a Captain in the Medical Corp from St Francisville LA which is only about 15 miles from my home.  He was also a cousin to General Robert H. Barrow. What a gift and for me also a local piece which is almost impossible to find in this area.  I have not had an opportunity to research the name yet. The flag is 48 stars but printed the stripes are sown.  If anyone could tell me about a possible time period on it I would appreciate it.  The greatcoat has one moth hole on the back but front will display great.  One uniform has holes all over it and what looks to be water damage, the cap is nice, the other is in good shape just dirty but I think it will clean up quite well.  

figure.jpg

greatcoat1.jpg

uniform20.jpg

uniform21.jpg

flag.jpg

4th Miss Cav

Dennis,

Thank you, that is him.  The grandson told me he was buried at Grace Episcopal Church.  It has a very old cemetery.  I appreciate the information.  I may take a ride there tomorrow.  I know General Barrow is also buried there so maybe it is a family plot.

David 

dhcoleterracina

I can't see much of the flag but if it has printed stars then it's probably not his internment flag. Probably a home flag that got thrown in. I can see markings but not clear enough. 

4 minutes ago, dhcoleterracina said:

I can't see much of the flag but if it has printed stars then it's probably not his internment flag. Probably a home flag that got thrown in. I can see markings but not clear enough. 

I would concur.

4th Miss Cav

Here is a better shot.  The only two things he kept were a trench lighter and a large 48 star flag with sewn on stars.  I would agree though I think it is much later.

flag2.jpg