Opinions on value of AA Rebuilt M1911?

collector

I will be selling my REM UMC w/older Colt slide, and would like thoughts on value before I offer it. I am aware it's a mixmaster, and do not assume it has the value of an original pistol, let alone a complete REM UMC. Augusta Arsenal refurb marks. Serial # indicates 1918. Darker parkerizing.

1911RemingtomUMC1918Right_DD_C6556.jpg

REMUMCLeft.jpg

RemUMCLeftArsenalMarks.jpg

Blacksmith

Hi collector - I'm not sure that you're giving this old war horse enough credit.  Generally, when I hear the term "mixmaster", the implication is that the parts cannot be rationalized into a GI service scenario (read, the gun doesn't 'make military sense').  This is commonly the case when somebody cobbles one together from parts post-war.  Just one example would be the slide and frame not being maker-matched.  If it wasn't rebuild marked, that would be a major turn-off to knowledgeable collectors.  As it is, it is totally justified.

What you have here appears to be a legitimate arsenal rebuild, which I feel helps value a fair bit.  I personally think it has a lot in its favor, such as the frame being from the first run of Remington-UMC examples.  It also has a very early Colt slide on it, which I surmise is somewhere in the first 80,000 built; so, between initial production in 1912, to somewhere mid-1913.  I attribute this to the last patent year being 1911 - meaning that the August 1913 patent date was not yet added.

One question I have, is what barrel is in it?  It could be a commercial barrel that someone stuck in later, a WWII-era GI replacement, or it could have its original barrel in it.  That makes a big difference.  Early teens Colt barrels bring a lot of money by themselves, as there are a lot of folks that have all-correct guns, except the barrel.

Very nice pistol, thank you for sharing it.

From what I can see, the trigger, main spring housing, and grip safety are M1911, while the grips, hammer, thumb safety, and slide release are M1911A1.  It has also been refinished.  If the barrel is USGI marked, I would put the value between $1400-1500 based on the AA rebuild mark.  All the changes can be logically attributed to the rebuild, but the barrel will influence the value; minus a couple of hundred dollars if not USGI.

As it is, it cannot be returned to its original state; it would be prohibitively expensive to try and stripping and refinishing would always keep the value down.  Enjoy it for what it is, and there is a small group of collectors that collect arsenal rebuilds who will find it attractive.

Here's shots of the barrel marks, it's a High Standard, WW2 vintage I guess.

I am one who enjoys any decent arsenal rebuild, not prejudiced in that way. I started a thread in the weapons forum on rebuilds, showing my two and asking others to add theirs.

I do have an original '42 Colt but like any of them really.

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

Blacksmith

You are spot on, WWII High Standard barrel, which is 100% correct to be dropped into an arsenal rebuild gun.

I think you have a really nice specimen there - congrats.

everforward

My .02: It’s a great piece as others have said, and with it having a Remington UMC frame is something that you won’t run across that often, especially in the arsenal-rebuild world. I’d say $1500, and maybe some more.

Keep in mind that you can purchase an arsenal rebuild from CMP for $850 to $1050 depending on condition. Course it’s a sight unseen process and you have to go through a lottery system.