Private Purchase Vietnam Camo Slouch Hat

Tom Kibler

Tom Kibler

Stiff as a board.  I've seen these over the years and realized I had one my father found at a flea Market in the early 1980's.  Were hats like this a common private purchase item?  Thanks.

Vietnam1.jpg

Vietnam2.jpg

Vietnam3.jpg

Vietnam4.jpg

Yes....  commonly purchased as a souvenir item but also worn in country at various times. Often seen worn by Air Force units also.

They were made stiff. Patterns range in all camo colors and even plain olive drab.Even have one made of camo parachute material. 

Here's one more solid colored hat, A Capt Keith Grimes in Vietnam 1965, I thought it might of been a Blue version, but it's a Dark Olive Drab.

post-34986-0-09698700-1582337036_thumb.jpg

And a good period color depiction of a Duck Hunter type as worn by George Takai's Đại úy Nim in the 1967 shot The Green Berets, in fact all the ARVN/PF troops in the movie wear them in the camp sequence.  BTW for those who don't know Đại úy being the South Vietnamese rank of Captain.

the_green_berets_still.jpg

On 5/29/2021 at 10:54 PM, patches said:

And a good period color depiction of a Duck Hunter type as worn by George Takai's Đại úy Nim in the 1967 shot The Green Berets, in fact all the ARVN/PF troops in the movie wear them in the camp sequence.  BTW for those who don't know Đại úy being the South Vietnamese rank of Captain.

the_green_berets_still.jpg

Hi Patches,

The one being worn by George Takai’s in the pic you posted is in fact made by a Japanese company called Stansales. They made military and camping gear in the 1960’s. The main indicator is the small buckle located on the chin strap.  Also the inside sweatband is different than the Viet and Thai made ones

Cheers,

Matt

9 hours ago, Klaxon said:

Hi Patches,

The one being worn by George Takai’s in the pic you posted is in fact made by a Japanese company called Stansales. They made military and camping gear in the 1960’s. The main indicator is the small buckle located on the chin strap.  Also the inside sweatband is different than the Viet and Thai made ones

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks for the very fine point Klaxon. Were these sold in South Vietnam/Thailand as well?

Found images of a Stansales duck hunter hat sold long time ago., the inside though was not saved. Here we do see the air hole is not a large mesh one, but a small metal grommet. and some kind of clip on the turn up.

arvn-duck-hunter-camo-cowbba9.jpg

arvn-duck-hunter-camo-cowboy-hat_1_4143f70ed0b7fc666ab22bae7399bba9.jpg

arvn-duck-hunter-camo-cowboy-hat_99bba9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
the_green_berets_still.jpg.23173dc2c6a6528f082873b5bc8c48e4.jpg

What does this have to do with op hat ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rooster

It's a very similar style hat. It has a similar

camo pattern to it. Seems relevant to the OP.

Mr Kibler did ask this question in his original post

"Were hats like this a common private purchase item?"

It appears that Patches was simply expounding upon and adding to the topic ?

Who would not agree ?

The OP asked "Were hats like this a common private purchase item?" in the very top post. As the OP didn't ask about the 'exact' hat he posted, I think that "like" in that sense means that all the posted 'similar' hats fit the category and are not highjacking the thread. Please keep the conversation civil, and if you can't keep it civil or post more than one argumentative comment, please refrain from posting. Please refer to Forum Rules 2.0 and 2.2. If you feel that any member has been rude or posted something incorrectly, please use the "report" button that is viewable on all threads and/or posts (by clicking the three dots in the top right corner of each post).  

All members are on here to either learn or share information. If a member knows more in a certain area, that certainly does not give them the freedom to reply in a condescending manner or rudely. Not everyone posting is an advanced collector or an expert in any field. The staff of USMF work very hard to keep the entire forum friendly and a fun place to visit. Please do your part to help and keep it friendly. If you can't say something in a nice way, please just don't say anything. If you really think there is an issue . . . use the report button, contact a Mod or Admin, or hold your discussion via PM. 

Thanks for understanding.

That was my intention, to show the type, and its various variations, to add to the question OP Member asked, like the movie hat worn in the movie by so many of ARVN troops at the camp, a period one, since the movie was made in 1967. That hat member Klaxon mentioned is in fact a Japanese Made one, see we didn't know that, with some other members no doubt not knowing this either, we then gather the Japanese Made one also seen use in South East Asia.

My thanks to Klaxon, The Rooster, and stratasfan and Justin.

As Sergeant Rizzo once said

I Was Just Trying To Hep 1650378384_emoticonsmile.png.3e6a54f614ad3611f2c155d9552d92b4.png

Ww8.jpg.3ea2d4cae77ea2563797891491f783f2.jpg

It's a very similar style hat. It has a similar

camo pattern to it. Seems relevant to the OP.

Mr Kibler did ask this question in his original post

"Were hats like this a common private purchase item?"

It appears that Patches was simply expounding upon and adding to the topic ?

Who would not agree ?

It’s a completely different hat.

That was my intention, to show the type, and its various variations, to add to the question OP Member asked, like the movie hat worn in the movie by so many of ARVN troops at the camp, a period one, since the movie was made in 1967. That hat member Klaxon mentioned is in fact a Japanese Made one, see we didn't know that, with some other members no doubt not knowing this either, we then gather the Japanese Made one also seen use in South East Asia.

No you are posting random internet pictures that show a completely different pattern and cut thus muddying the waters.

Post pictures of the correct cut and print that is the only correct step forward in research.

Owen

31 minutes ago, kammo-man said:

It’s a completely different hat.

28 minutes ago, kammo-man said:

No you are posting random internet pictures that show a completely different pattern and cut thus muddying the waters.

Post pictures of the correct cut and print that is the only correct step forward in research.

Owen

Repeating my previous post, in case it was missed.

The OP asked "Were hats like this a common private purchase item?" in the very top post. As the OP didn't ask about the 'exact' hat he posted, I think that "like" in that sense means that all the posted 'similar' hats fit the category and are not highjacking the thread. Please keep the conversation civil, and if you can't keep it civil or post more than one argumentative comment, please refrain from posting. Please refer to Forum Rules 2.0 and 2.2. If you feel that any member has been rude or posted something incorrectly, please use the "report" button that is viewable on all threads and/or posts (by clicking the three dots in the top right corner of each post).  

All members are on here to either learn or share information. If a member knows more in a certain area, that certainly does not give them the freedom to reply in a condescending manner or rudely. Not everyone posting is an advanced collector or an expert in any field. The staff of USMF work very hard to keep the entire forum friendly and a fun place to visit. Please do your part to help and keep it friendly. If you can't say something in a nice way, please just don't say anything. If you really think there is an issue . . . use the report button, contact a Mod or Admin, or hold your discussion via PM. 

Thanks for understanding.

This thread is now locked to further replies.