Yokota57 Lighter Collection

yokota57

yokota57

Looks like a steak and a 3.2 beer bottle cap !?!?  APO 925 was Fuchu Air Station, Japan. Whose "Eastern Field Office" ??  CIA? NSA? Beef+3.2 beer distributor? Any information will be appreciated !

ID-Unknown Fuchu AS Apo 925 .JPG

ID-Unknown Fuchu AS APO 925 Rev .JPG

aznation

Doesn't necessarily answer your questions but....

Source:  Newspapers.com

g1.jpg

g1a.jpeg

yokota57

Yes, FEAF//5th AF was at Fuchu AS. Whose "Eastern Area Office"?? NSA? CIA? OSI?  "Steak+ 3.2 Bottle Cap"?? Who and what was "Team 408"?? Check out these chits. Thanks for the message!

fuchu as apo 925.jpg

yokota57

Thanks very much for the Joseph Gataletto obit!! This is very helpful. I had previously run an search for his name but came up with nothing. Many thanks!

aznation
4 hours ago, aznation said:

Take a look through here and see if you think this might be related.

Source:  https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/90554/LEHMAN-DISSERTATION-2016.pdf?sequence=1

Ok, well I'm convinced after perusing through this document that it indeed is related to Joseph J. Gataletto in that he operated out of the Eastern Field Office in Japan and was assigned to Team 408 out of Fuchu AS, Japan.  I've extracted the bits that I believe proves what I'm stating.  Joseph was involved in a covert Air Force unit known as AFOAT-1/AFTAC Units.

Note:  Obviously "Filed" is spelled incorrectly and should be "Field" below.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

aznation

Additionally, here's the abstract of what the document is about.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

aznation

Note:  I did find one place where the "3.2" reference on the lighter may've come from, although I'm not certain about it's correlation.  Perhaps the shape that looks like a steak on the lighter is an island or area where Castle Bravo took place.

Fallout Overkill: CASTLE BRAVO and the Problem of Fallout Just before dawn on 1 March 1954 (local time), Japanese fishermen saw a bright flash, then a brilliant “orange-red sun rising in the west.”693 At 15 megatons, the yield of the second thermonuclear device, CASTLE BRAVO, unexpectedly became the highest of any tested by the United States. Aggravated by unfavorable winds rising after shot time, its intensely radioactive fallout plume moved beyond the designated danger area before evacuations could take place. Among the first to notice the heavy fallout were a group of twenty-five Air Force weathermen stationed on Rongerik, 130 miles from ground zero on Nam Island, Bikini Atoll. In addition to weather observation, these servicemen maintained a ground monitoring station for the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) test organization. Eight hours after the shot, the radiation meter went off the scale (it was limited to measurements of no more than 100 milliroentgen per hour.) The weather observers sent a message to headquarters requesting advice; they were told to stay indoors. Early the next day, a seaplane evacuated the group after taking readings of at least 3.2 roentgens per hour at one inch above the ground surface. 

yokota57

Brilliant, simply brilliant! When I received your link to the 500+ page document it was late at night here and I did not have time to go through it. You have hit the nail directly on the head! I can't thank you enough! **As to the "3.2 Bottle Cap": From the info you have provided I believe it is actually a Radiac Personal Pendant Dosimeter. My USAF Dad (and all other military and civilian personnel) had one when we were in Japan in the '50s. It looks like a small hockey puck (photo attached. Thanks again for the amazing research you have done on my behalf. yokota57

Radiac Personel Dosimeter .jpg

aznation

You're welcome.  Every once and awhile just when you think you're not going to find out the meaning of an object you get lucky and hit the jackpot.  I've never heard of the Radiac Personal Pendant Dosimeter before but you're probably right about that.  The lighter you have has brought to light (get it?) a very interesting period of military history and that one document is definitely worth a read.  Thank you for posting what was a challenging piece to research.  -- Matt

• 3 weeks later...
yokota57

All Japanese-Made. Korean War-Cold War-Vietnam War. Enjoy!

US Army 24th MP Co Korea 1956-1957 .JPG

US Army 24th MP Company Korea '56-'57 .JPG

US Army 33d Helicopter Co RVN H-21C.JPG

US Army 71st Trans Bn (Helicopter) H-21 Ft Riley, KS .JPG

US Army 71st Transportation Battalion (Helicopter) H-21 Maj Pitts B. Dickens former CO 52d Trans Battalion (H) .JPG

US Army 179th US Army Security Agency Company .JPG

US Army 179th USASA  Company Rev .JPG

US Army 282d AHC.JPG

US Army 326th Communication Reconnaissance Company Korean War .JPG

US Army HQ Army Forces Far East. Camp Zama, Japan  Xmas 1954 .JPG

US Army Oakland Army Terminal .JPG

yokota57

326th Communication Reconnaissance Company / Korea

size0.jpg

yokota57

Japanese-Made "Konwal Super". 417th Engineer Aviation Brigade. Enjoy!

US Army 417th Av Eng Brigade SCARWAF CO .JPG

US Army 417th Avn Eng Brigade SCARWAF CO Rev .JPG

yokota57

4th MRS & 5th MRS, Japanese-made, '50s-'60s. Far East Air Materiel Command / Tachikawa Air Base, Japan APO 323

4th Materiel Recovery Sqdn .JPG

5th Materiel Recovery Sqdn .JPG

yokota57

"Genetrix" reconnaissance balloon film capsule recovery using C-119s. Terminated 1956. Naval Air Station Kodiak, Territory of Alaska.

746th Troop Carrier Sqdn Det 1 .JPG

746th TCS Det 1 NAS Kodiak Genetrix Balloon Recovery .JPG

yokota57

Joint Sobe Processing Center / Torii Station, Okinawa. NSA and US military SIGINT.

NSA-Joint Sobe Processing Center Torii Station, Okinawa SIGINT  (2).JPG

yokota57

581st Air Resupply Squadron & 581st Airborne Material Assembly Squadron (w/581st Air Resupply & Communications Wing on reverse). Enjoy!

581st Air Resupply Sqdn  (3).JPG

581st Air Resupply Squadron  (3).JPG

581st Airborne Material Assembly Sqdn-581st AR&C Wing MIB  (3).JPG

581st AMA Sqdn-581st AR&C Wing  (3).JPG

581st AMA Sq-581st Air Resupply&Comm Wing Rev  (3).JPG

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.