Rare item you want becomes available with a minor condition issue. Buy or Pass?

RDUNE

I posed a similar question about price a while back but recently had a deal fall through over condition rather than price. In a nutshell I found a non-military pilots wing and was able to identify it using a collector website. The website owner clearly stated that the wing was one they wanted an example of for their collection so I reached out. He was interested until I mentioned it was missing a clutch post on the reverse, that was a deal-breaker. The front of the wing looks great for display, it's apparently very rare and somewhat desireable, he advertised that he wanted an example of that specific wing, it would be an easy fix, but no deal. We weren't even talking a great deal of money, less than $50. It's not that I'm bitter or anything, it will likely do much better on Ebay. I'm just a little baffled why someone would be looking for a specific and rare item then pass it up over (what I consider to be) a minor condition issue. 

SO, my question is: If you are looking for something that almost doesn't exist and one becomes available in less than ideal condition, do you buy or pass? 

Just curious 🙂

-Ryan 

Condition is very important to most collectors, as it should be IMO. Unless the item in question is so incredibly rare that a damaged version is the best you can hope to do, it is always best to wait for an example in nicer condition. Not much of a market for wings with broken posts I'm afraid. I think most wing collectors would consider that a pretty significant condition issue...

Blacksmith

I agree with Kadet fully.  Unless it’s the only one in the world, I would pass - and I’m not really a condition snob.

A missing clutch pin is a big deal, as you either leave it, or have to repair it, and it’s always going to have an asterisk.

Fair enough. I suppose in my mind it would be better to have a slightly damaged but displayable example than no example at all. Especially if it's something that doesn't appear to have come along in a very long time and I don't know when or if I'll ever get a chance at another one. 

agate hunter

Depending on the condition if you really want it bad enough and have enough fun money id buy it and wait for a better one to come up and resell the lesser one. 

One thing I notice is a lot of people are time wasters. They "want" something or advertise specifically for an item then when presented they always back peddle, have some issue, their wife will be mad... same old sorry lines.

I understand "condition is everything" but I ask if you had the chance at a real WW1 pilots wing and the catch was missing would you pass at $50 or $100 because its not "perfect" or would require repair? I know I wouldn't but that's a personal choice. 

My personal point of view and how I have collected is Im an opportunist. If I have the opportunity and the funds to buy an item Im looking for and price is in line with condition I will buy it. I have an example and can place it in the collection until a better one comes along. Then deal with the lesser of the two.Sell it or trade it. I learned a long time ago you may not have that second chance to purchase or even see that item. We all know people who have been looking for "50 years" for an item and left it due to condition or such. A missing post isnt a real issue to me. I got a glider pilots wing in a auction lot once. One post pin was missing. I had it repaired at the cost of $30. Didnt bother me it was missing but I wanted to use it on a uniform I have.

Im the end again its a personal choice but for $50 if it was something I needed and was looking for no brainer for me I would have bought it.

This is such a minefield.  Condition and originality always are balanced when buying an item.

Case in point; I was looking at getting a Patton sword made into a knife that still had the original tang and markings.  One came up but condition was bad.  I followed the auction but skipped bidding once it got above what I was willing to pay; someone paid twice what I thought it was worth but pretty cheap when compared to other knives made from Patton swords.

Then a knife that I hadn't seen for sale for many years came up for sale.  It had some condition issues but it had the original sheath, even if the stitching was missing in many places.  Also someone had cut out a piece of the wood handle, looked like they intended to inlay something.  I won the auction anyway because I tend to agree with Doyler about opportunity and funds.  I may upgrade later if I ever see a better one, but experience tells me that probably isn't going to happen.

Had I not stepped up and got the knife, I know I'd be still regretting not doing so when I had the chance.

My two cents worth.

I have two WWII wings I got a while back, air crew and aerial gunner. One badge is missing most of the pin and the other one has no pin. But they only cost half as much as they usually would. Since they look great from the front and I only want to display them, they are good enough for me. If you want something and the price is right, then I say go for it even if it has some damage.

easterneagle87

I'm in with; Agate Hunter, doyler and Reforger

If you want it, buy it. If you are a perfectionist, then don't. These aren't baseball cards or comic books. We don't go off of bent corners or yellowed pages. Some assemble, I won't say "fill", their collections with nothing but the best.  Some are just happy with filling their collection with examples. It ultimately comes down to - to each their own. 

tdogchristy90

This topic really interests me. I’ve come to have a few things guide me....

Quality over quantity.

Buy the best you can.

If you settle just to fill a hole, you may regret not waiting for the right thing.

It needs to “speak to me” so I don’t run the risk of impulse buying.

Trust your gut!

With that said I’ve actually started paying those who have been so nice to help me by offering a little finders fee. It’s my way of saying thank you even if I pass on something. I always feel bad when they put in the work to help me and I pass on it just because I’m “not feeling it.” So I guess to answer the question I’m more in the quality department over just filling an arbitrary hole.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Sounds like it wasn't actually rare.

I've got things on my holy grail list I'd be thrilled to even learn there was a surviving example somewhere in the world. 

Of course thats not to say I wouldn't factor condition into price, of course I will pay more for something in good condition than for a rusty relic. 

tdogchristy90
6 minutes ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

Sounds like it wasn't actually rare.

I've got things on my holy grail list I'd be thrilled to even learn there was a surviving example somewhere in the world. 

Of course thats not to say I wouldn't factor condition into price, of course I will pay more for something in good condition than for a rusty relic. 

Cap, you saying “sounds like it wasn’t actually rare.” That makes me think that what is rare to one person may not be rare to someone else. Ones budget and own interest may factor into what “rare” means to someone. So I guess determining what is defined as rare may come into play in this discussion. 

Holy Grail patch find IMHO.... Alamo Scouts patch-with rock solid provenance - from the family of a scout. I paid a fair asking price without thinking twice. ]once I ascertained it was absolutely real]

alamo scouts.jpg

Radio Operator

1 hour ago, tdogchristy90 said:

Cap, you saying “sounds like it wasn’t actually rare.” That makes me think that what is rare to one person may not be rare to someone else. Ones budget and own interest may factor into what “rare” means to someone. So I guess determining what is defined as rare may come into play in this discussion. 

What's rare to one person is definitely a big factor to this discussion rare can mean a lot of things and depending on where you live something can be rare but common else where. If rare to someone means about 500,000 pieces were originally produced about 75 years ago then I can see being strict on the condition, as even if it takes a few years then your bound to see another one. Last fall I found a WW1 named model 5 which as helmet guy I would consider a "holy grail" due to its age, and low production run. The only issue with it is that one of the liner flaps/tongues is missing but that is easy to over look for an item like that. Now if it was an M1 Hawley liner (which some would consider rare) missing a third of the webbing I can see someone passing on it. Even though it is "rare" compared to other M1 liners, it's not like you will never see another one at some point. 

If price is relevant in terms of condition and scarcity, what's wrong with having something in lesser shape until a better piece surfaces?....If an item is hard to find for you, than odds are good it will be hard for someone else....Others will invariably be in the same situation, so there is a buyer is around the corner....Wings are and have been quite sought after and collectible, so again chances are good you won't be hard pressed to find a buyer....Bodes

8 hours ago, Thor996 said:

Holy Grail patch find IMHO.... Alamo Scouts patch-with rock solid provenance - from the family of a scout. I paid a fair asking price without thinking twice. ]once I ascertained it was absolutely real]

alamo scouts.jpg

A caveat to what I said above. I think named items are always in a slightly different category. I view them as one of a kinds and am less worried about condition. Nice Alamo Scouts patch BTW!

13 hours ago, Kadet said:

A caveat to what I said above. I think named items are always in a slightly different category. I view them as one of a kinds and am less worried about condition. Nice Alamo Scouts patch BTW!

thanks!

Skysoldier80

I think it all depends; of course you want something of the best condition, however, I searched for a certain award for 20 years and just recently was able find one in horrible condition. I debated for two weeks to decide if I should buy it; even was told that it was the condition they had ever seen, but I bought it anyways.  If I find a better one I will buy, but I am extremely happy to just have one.  It was an award that was rarity awarded.