M1 MP Helmet with modified Woodland cover - What do you think about?

Luxview

I need some help with this helmet. It is a FS with SB (modified from FB, heat stamp 110B), completely refurbished with apple green sand finish which looks like new (minus the paint loss on the rim). The liner is a P64 marked Feb 1975, with a sweatband from 1974. The cover has a painted MP marking (genuine?). I didn't remove the cover, because it fits so tightly to the helmet but I carefully looked through the slits and there are no MP markings on the helmet. What surprises me is that the cover has been cut and a band or elastic sewn in and I wonder if this was common practise at some point or what happened here. I've never seen such a modification before. If anybody has an answer for me, please let me know. Happy to provide more pictures if needed.

IMG_20210330_140739.jpg

IMG_20210330_140748.jpg

IMG_20210330_140932.jpg

IMG_20210330_141052.jpg

IMG_20210330_141400.jpg

Nobody out there who can provide some insights? Where to place this piece on the intervall between "common practice" and "obvious fake"? Anything lacking in the description that could help getting more clarity? Would appreciate any guidance or hint where to educate myself...

The Rooster

From what I can tell by your description, it looks like a ww2 produced steel that was refurbished for

Vietnam era. Black hard ware on the chin straps and light green paint.

That cover though ?? I dont know about that?

You could write a note to admin and ask them if they would please move

this into the helmet section or repost it there your self.

The helmet folks will be able to tell you about that cover.

Chances are the helmet experts did not see this.

Repost it in steel and kevlar helmet section and I bet you get some answers.

CavalryCombatant

IMO looks like a legit mid-late 1980’s MP helmet.  I’m not positive but the helmet band appears to be from a PASGT, not exactly sure on the elastic system, but by the mid 1980’s it’d totally be possible to do.  

I can’t tell if the MP markings are inked or sewn on, but I get the feeling they’re inked.  If that’s the case they should be pretty similar to other examples I’ve seen.  

To my knowledge nobody’s really faking these yet so I wouldn’t be overly concerned.

Seconding what Rooster said, if you want a more “in the know” opinion, I’d definitely repost it on the steel and Kevlar section. 

I think the helmet is good and an interesting modification.  My theory is that as the MP frequently wore the liners only he was looking for a way to keep the cover ready to go with out having to 're-flap' the camo cover every time.  But the helmet guys will be on it!

On 6/5/2021 at 3:34 PM, The Rooster said:

From what I can tell by your description, it looks like a ww2 produced steel that was refurbished for

Vietnam era. Black hard ware on the chin straps and light green paint.

That cover though ?? I dont know about that?

You could write a note to admin and ask them if they would please move

this into the helmet section or repost it there your self.

The helmet folks will be able to tell you about that cover.

Chances are the helmet experts did not see this.

Repost it in steel and kevlar helmet section and I bet you get some answers.

Thank you Rooster for your feedback and recommendation. You are right, I'll do what you suggest and contact an admin (rather than reposting, to avoid duplication). 

On 6/5/2021 at 4:01 PM, CavalryCombatant said:

IMO looks like a legit mid-late 1980’s MP helmet.  I’m not positive but the helmet band appears to be from a PASGT, not exactly sure on the elastic system, but by the mid 1980’s it’d totally be possible to do.  

I can’t tell if the MP markings are inked or sewn on, but I get the feeling they’re inked.  If that’s the case they should be pretty similar to other examples I’ve seen.  

To my knowledge nobody’s really faking these yet so I wouldn’t be overly concerned.

Seconding what Rooster said, if you want a more “in the know” opinion, I’d definitely repost it on the steel and Kevlar section. 

Very interesting, CavalryCombatant, I didn't pay enough attention to the helmet band, it is definitely darker than the regular M1 ones I can compare it with and the material could well be Nylon instead of Cotton. Was there a cross-over during transition period? The markings are indeed inked, and they are the only reference to MP. Both helmet and liner don't have any other markings.

3 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

I think the helmet is good and an interesting modification.  My theory is that as the MP frequently wore the liners only he was looking for a way to keep the cover ready to go with out having to 're-flap' the camo cover every time.  But the helmet guys will be on it!

Sounds reasonable, Mr. Jerry, in terms of practicality. I just haven't seen such a modification before. The seller said the helmet came from US troops in southern Germany (possibly Ingolstadt or around) but didn't have any more details. Could you please move this thread into the "Steel and Kevlar Helmets " section, to have more guys take a look at it?

• 1 month later...

Seems that the question about this MP helmet camo modification will remain open for another while. In my view, Mr. Jerry's assumption sounds very convincing but as long as nobody else can back it up, it remains a theory - If anybody can help, please chime in !!

The Rooster

The cover is legit but I do not believe it was for an infantry soldier. Rather more for an on base soldier who needed a neat looking cover that would stay that way.

Those flaps on a normal cover were valuable in the field because you could pull the back 3 flaps out and let them hang over the back of your neck. Kept the sun off and broke up the helmet outline.

It looks like a rear area or parade cover modification to me.

21 hours ago, The Rooster said:

The cover is legit but I do not believe it was for an infantry soldier. Rather more for an on base soldier who needed a neat looking cover that would stay that way.

Those flaps on a normal cover were valuable in the field because you could pull the back 3 flaps out and let them hang over the back of your neck. Kept the sun off and broke up the helmet outline.

It looks like a rear area or parade cover modification to me.

... and that would also explain the perfect condition, it looks basically unused - Thank you very much !!

I agree with Rooster, it’s not for field use.  The cover is on backwards.  Those two pleats should face to the rear so that branches and things don’t get snagged in there.

Agreed...Parade or inspection cover. Friend of mine had a whole set of gear and a helmet he kept just for that purpose. Never wore either unless for inspection or parade field wear. He said he bought a helmet at a pawn shop and used it.