Need help with US Army ACU Test Pants

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I usually ignore the ACU pattern when I see it at the thrift store but something told me to take this pair of the rack and check it out. I believe I should now pay more attention.  with that said I just picked these pants up at the thrift store for $3.00 . Other then the number written on the tag they have no wear. I see some other post on the forum about experimental ACU pants but nothing like these. They say light weather on the tag but they are actually rather thick and just want information on them.     Thanks!

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

Hi,

Have not seen a tag that complete on most any ACU experimental pattern before.  I have quite a few experimental uniforms and nothing with such a complete tag.  Only exception are the ones actually issued that say A and B pattern.  Not much help on this example but they look good to me.  Pretty tough finding details on different experimental patterns.  Thanks Clete

Manchu Warrior
3 hours ago, ekclete said:

Hi,

Have not seen a tag that complete on most any ACU experimental pattern before.  I have quite a few experimental uniforms and nothing with such a complete tag.  Only exception are the ones actually issued that say A and B pattern.  Not much help on this example but they look good to me.  Pretty tough finding details on different experimental patterns.  Thanks Clete

As I said I usually don't even look at the ACU pattern and the only reason that I took them off the rack was because of the zipper in the leg. I actually thought that they were Goretex pants and when I realized that they were not I assumed, incorrectly, that they were some type of civilian fashion pants, that was until I read the tags. I'm still baffled because they say fair weather on the tag yet they are really thick. I am taking like MOPP suit thick but they don't have a liner. I also got slightly obsessed and spent way more time then was necessary looking through the racks for the top that did not sexist.  With that said I appreciate the information that you gave me.      Thanks!

Second result on a google search for Light Weather Outer Layer:

https://ciehub.info/clothing/FR/FREE.html

The Fire Resistant Environmental Ensemble (FREE) is a multilayered, versatile, flame resistant system. Its unique individual layers are adaptable into multiple system configurations. This flexibility allows the Soldier greater uniform/personal protection choices. These choices are critical in responding to the current engagement threats while facing extreme climate conditions.

The ensemble was designed to fit comfortably over the current Army issue fire resistant duty service uniforms, such as the Mounted Crewman Improved Combat Vehicle Crewman (iCVC) coverall and the Army Aircrew Combat Uniform (A2CU). It was ergonomically engineered for comfort and wear in the confines of aircraft and armored vehicles. All layers of the FREE system incorporate flame resistant technologies to offer protection and comfort. FREE is a comprehensive clothing system from skin to outerwear, from head to toe, and was designed to be compatible with current issue personal protective equipment.

FREE was engineered to be functional in and out of aircraft and combat vehicles. It will replace existing aviation and combat vehicle crewmen cold weather clothing (ACWCS). FREE is color-compatible (in universal camouflage and foliage green) with ground Soldier uniforms and provides armor and aircrew members with the flexibility needed for field operations in rapidly evolving environments.

Of which the LWOL is part of it.

The LWOL is constructed with a lightweight, windproof, waterproof, breathable Massif Elements Lite 4-way stretch fabric made with DuPont Nomex fiber. The jacket features high collar for added protection, zippered chest and sleeve cargo pockets, and two flapped double pen pockets. The jacket is also engineered with an easy-cinch draw cord and adjustable wrist cuffs for variable fit and warmth, a pass-through flap for CVC extraction strap access, and velcro loop for name, rank, flag, and unit tape round out the LWOL's functionality. The LWOL is available in OCP or UCP.

There is a shirt on eBay right now: 

eBay item number:

I did check all my experimental uniforms and most do not have any tags at all or if they do a

lot have sizes written in Sharpie.  Next time I dig out the storage tub mine are in I can snap a

few pictures for comparison. 

Of the experimental uniforms I have they come in all sorts of fabric and material.  Some light-

weight, some heavy duty, and so on.  Pretty interesting to see all the different types the army

tested.  Thanks Clete

• 2 weeks later...