29th Ohio ID Badge and Canteen

Marktk36thIL

Gold and silver ID badge of George J. Putney of the 29th Ohio Infantry. They had a pretty active role in the war, seeing much fighting in the 1862 Shenandoah Valley campaign. They remained part of the Eastern Theater, culminating with their defense on July 2nd/3rd against the Virginians of the famed Stonewall Brigade on Culps Hill at a little place called Gettysburg, PA.

The 29th OVI would be shipped out west and become part of the breakout of Chattanooga in the battle of Lookout Mountain.

The "bullseye" canteen has been identified to him in two ways, first noticeably being the prominent needlework. The second, being his initials carved to the top of the canteen that is terrific in showing how the soldiers back then even marked their gear/equipment.

The inscription on the badge reads as follows: 

George J. Putney
Co. E 29th OVI

Winchester,Va March 23, 1862
Port Republic,Va June 9, 1862
Cedar Mountain,Va Aug. 9, 1862
Gettysburg, Pa
July 1, 2, 3, 1863
Lookout Mt., Tenn
Nov. 24, 1863

20210527_213042.jpg

received_1132888097208242.jpeg

received_139782141440120.jpeg

received_491796901888481.jpeg

20210527_214337.jpg

Marktk36thIL
5 minutes ago, cylekostello said:

Fantastic group, is the badge wartime? Looks like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a wartime badge. I have seen this style several times for the 5th Ohio Inf., but not the 29th.

Marktk36thIL

If anyone is open to.making an offer for the grouping, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Best,

Mark

USCapturephotos

Incredible grouping! So wish I could afford it! Thanks for showing the pieces to us. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen an image or two somewhere of other 12th corps soldiers wearing this style of badge.

Paul

USCapturephotos
2 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

Incredible grouping! So wish I could afford it! Thanks for showing the pieces to us. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen an image or two somewhere of other 12th corps soldiers wearing this style of badge.

Paul

I keep coming back to this thread. Just love the group. That corduroy style canteen cover is nice and much more scarcely seen as well.

Paul

Marktk36thIL
2 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

I keep coming back to this thread. Just love the group. That corduroy style canteen cover is nice and much more scarcely seen as well.

Paul

Thanks Paul! I think it'll be going to a good home soon.

USCapturephotos
33 minutes ago, Marktk36thIL said:

Thanks Paul! I think it'll be going to a good home soon.

Great! I just wish it were mine :) Seriously thanks for showing it to us.

Paul