Jackson Memorial Medal

cylekostello

Great mail day today, had 2 really cool items show up, this is the first.

Pictured is a wartime (!!!) unofficial, Confederate medal, intended to be awarded to members of the famous “Stonewall Brigade”. The Stonewall brigade was a famous brigade in the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia. Initially under the command of Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson the brigade distinguished itself in combat for its steadfast defense and ferocious attacks. The brigade fought with Lee’s army for almost the entire war, distinguishing themselves at Bull Run, Chancellorsville and the Wilderness just to name a few.

These medals were commissioned by a private southern citizen in 1864. Intended to be awarded to members of Jackson’s old brigade the medals successfully ran the Union blockade only to be lost in a storehouse as the Union advanced into Georgia. These medals were rediscovered in the 1880s and sold by the Daughters of the Confederacy to fund homes for Confederate Vets. This example is in absolutely beautiful condition with nearly all the silver finish remaining.

The medal features a bust of Jackson on the front (albeit with the wrong birthdate and Mexican War era portrait. On the reverse are the battle honors of the Stonewall brigade, notably Jackson’s master stroke, Chancellorsville is not included. Overall this is a neat (and surprisingly affordable) Confederate medal and one I’m happy to have in my collection.

A4F3E0FF-0A6F-4691-8871-2D507FBA4FC9.jpeg

7D52C62E-9220-49E2-AB3A-6135A921226D.jpeg

Very nice medal and Thanks for the history of it. What do these medals go for and are they rare to find?

cylekostello
Very nice medal and Thanks for the history of it. What do these medals go for and are they rare to find?

Surprisingly they’re not uncommon or terribly expensive, the rare bit of affordable confederate militaria. Despite only about a 1000 being minted I’ve seen 3 for sale this year. Prices vary widely seen them anywhere from 350-750 (one sold at the UnionDB this year for 750, which seemed a bit high).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk