Vietnam era NOS Mess Kit Retail Find

sigo

I stopped by the Military Clothing Sales store on Ft Leavenworth to pick up a uniform item and noticed they had USGI mess tins on the shelf. In over twenty years of shopping at MCSS on posts all over the Army I’ve never see these on the shelf before. I says to myself, these aren’t even issued anymore, wonder what the dates are…  one is marked 1965, and the other two are 1964! I thought it was neat that DLA had these in storage for 57 years, and someone at Fort Leavenworth decided it was time to order some and put them out for sale. Unusual to see such old kit straight out of the warehouse and on the shelf for retail sales. I decided I should have one. They have the forks, spoons and knives on the shelf too, but none are dated. Probably just as old so I added a set to the mess tin. Fun stuff. 

E21D37E2-8A44-4A39-A5CB-E34846A590BB.jpeg

5D11378E-B995-41DA-BC3E-A2BF8BF4DB6A.jpeg

AC0FE3F1-F97D-4AC8-AE16-21BDBABE62E5.jpeg

Nice-

'Nam dated messkits are actually kind of hard to find. (and more and more 'kids' are collecting/re-enacting VN so they are in demand)

2 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

Nice-

'Nam dated messkits are actually kind of hard to find. (and more and more 'kids' are collecting/re-enacting VN so they are in demand)

What's the average going price of a nam dated one today. I believe my mess kit is a 65 dated one or something like that im pretty sure I paid 15 for it and I had to buy the utensils separately I think they were an extra 5 bucks I've only used it once since I bought it. It aint in bad shape either. If I remember correctly my utensils are un dated.

6 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

The kits are in the $20-25 range and the utensil are bringing between $10-15 a set.

It was $39 retail, and the utensils were about $3 ea.