6th Corps Badge with Veteran tab engraved "Sporting Hill" & "Gettysburg"

John Fushi

6th Corps badge with veteran tab engraved "Sporting Hill" & "Gettysburg"

The Battle of Gettysburg was fought July 1–3, 1863, in and around the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, by Union and Confederate forces during the American Civil War. The battle involved the largest number of casualties of the entire war and is often described as the war's turning point due to the Union's decisive victory and concurrence with the Siege of Vicksburg.

The Skirmish of Sporting Hill was a relatively small skirmish during the Gettysburg Campaign of the American Civil War, taking place on June 30, 1863, at various locations in present-day Camp Hill, East Pennsboro Township and Hampden Township in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. It is known as the northernmost engagement of Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War.

Army of the Potomac 

6th Corps 

1862 - 1865 

6-6-29 copy.jpg

John Fushi
1 hour ago, USCapturephotos said:

That is a nice 6th Corp Badge! Did it come from an ancestor?

Paul

It did not, My family all fought in the western theater. There is a name to this badge but I can not find the paperwork at the moment. 

USCapturephotos

I really love it!

All of my Civil War ancestors were in the Eastern Theater. Would love to know who it belonged to when you find the paperwork. Thanks for sharing it!

Paul