Woodmen of the World W.O.W. organization

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

Now and then, W.O.W. items come up on the forum for identification but they're scattered about here and there.

First, a brief overview of this organization:

Joseph Cullen Root was the founder of ( MWA) Modern Woodmen of America in 1882. This original fraternal organization only operated in 9 of the central western states, By 1890 , Mr. Root was dissatisfied with MWA (Modern Woodmen of America) and left it to organize Woodmen of the World . According to their brochure and brief history they sent this is what they have to say about the origins or forming such organizations.

When Joseph Cullen Root founded Woodmen , he envisioned an organization dedicated to helping its fellow man . Its purpose was "to minister to the afflicted to relieve distress; to cast a sheltering arm about the defenseless living ;... to encourage broad charitable views..."

Lifestyles have changed since Root wrote those goals into the Objectives of Woodcraft , but fraternalism remains strong . "The objects of Woodcraft have always exemplified love, honor and remembrance, "said Executive Vice President Wayne Graham, the director of the Society's fraternal programs. "Fraternalists are concerned with helping others, promoting patriotism and civic responsibility , and providing financial protection for their families.

Today , Woodmen members do not simply share the fact that they have purchased insurance or annuities through the same organization . Woodmen is a fraternal benefit society , with members connected by their membership and also their desire to better their lives, their families' lives and their communities.

Woodmen is a nonprofit organization , owned and governed by its members. Delegates are elected from 2,600 local lodges to jurisdictional (state) conventions and then to the National Convention. These national delegates elect members to the Board of Directors to four -year terms of office where they help to determine policies and directions of the society.

The development of the fraternal beneficiary system in America was actuated by the same desires which prompted its organization in the Old World Societies had been organized and disbanded one after another , until the organization of the Ancient Order of United Workmen was perfected by John Jordon Upchurch at Madville , Pennsylvania , on October 27, 1868.

Mr. Joseph Root founded the society in Omaha , Nebraska , which is still one of their main offices. Until 1957 Woodmen did not admit women and girls to the society. The financial statement as of Dec 31, 1891 listed Membership at 5,461 . The first certificate of membership was issued to Wm. A. McCully , Camp #1, Independence , Kansas , on Dec 29, 1890. The first Camp charter was issued to Alpha Camp #1, Omaha , Nebraska , Jan 10 1891. This lodge is still in existence.

The first death claim paid was that of Willie O. Warner , who drowned June 14, 1891, in Niles , Michigan . In 1910 , a class of 7,800 candidates was initiated at Louisville, Ky. From 1909- 1947 , 12,000 members with tuberculosis received free care at the Modern Woodmen Sanatorium in Woodmen ,COL.

At one time in its history , WOW did offer grave monuments to families of deceased members. Sometimes these monuments have the motto Dum Tacet Clamat, which means "Though silent, he speaks , " etched on the stone.

Photos from an auction listing

Woodmen of the World - Embossed souvenir walled & ID card from1924 "Sovereign Camp" No. 143, Waynesboro, MA

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

When I was in Texas looking for family in grave sites scattered all over the place with my mom I came across quite a few of the tree like headstones. Years later I was digging in a box of patches and came across a very nice bullion WOW patch. I didn't make the connection and one of the forum members clued me in.

DSC00422.JPG.64843fbdbdd1eb11bff1df1f6a65a6fa.jpg

Very good information on WOW.  Did the Woodsman group ever establish a military arm such as a Militia Unit?  I know some fraternal organizations such as the Junior Order of United American Mechanics Militia did.  So the OUAM actually fielded Militia units.

Salvage Sailor

Now there's the link we needed

After the W.O.W. bling, scroll down to the 'Woodmen of the World Ceremony of Introduction in the Protection Degree Promulgated by the Ritual Committee of the Sovereign Camp, 1903'

Lot's of precision drill to practice and memorize for the ritual ceremony at the 'sovereign camp'.

Salvage Sailor

Being from a very old American family with deep pre Revolutionary roots, there's always a Tory somewhere in the lineage.

This is my direct ancestor & 6th Gr Grandfather Colonel Richard Pearis, Sr., British army officer of the French & Indian Wars (leading his Cherokee bands in the Forbes expedition) and the Revolution.  He fought alongside George Washington at Fort Duquesne and against him after 1776, finally being exiled to Bermuda at the end of the Revolution.  

Journal of the American Revolution  RICHARD PEARIS AND THE MOBILIZATION OF SOUTH CAROLINA’S BACKCOUNTRY LOYALISTS

Richard Pearis Historical Marker 1765 001.jpg

Woodsmen of the World Historical Marker

16 hours ago, sundance said:

I believe I have a Woodmen of the World fraternal sword.

Sundance, I would love to see your sword.

On 5/27/2021 at 9:41 AM, SARGE said:

Very good information on WOW.  Did the Woodsman group ever establish a military arm such as a Militia Unit?  I know some fraternal organizations such as the Junior Order of United American Mechanics Militia did.  So the OUAM actually fielded Militia units.

During WW1, the Woodmen of the World stood up a "Uniformed Rank."  They performed community service, guard duty, and voluntary police work, especially in semi-rural areas.  Their uniforms were purchased by local units but were typically of the M1910 type.  From time to time, you will see a photo on-line purporting to be a WW1 soldier but you can clearly see the crossed axes of the WOW.

• 3 months later...
American Heritage
On 5/31/2021 at 6:43 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Being from a very old American family with deep pre Revolutionary roots, there's always a Tory somewhere in the lineage.

This is my direct ancestor & 6th Gr Grandfather Colonel Richard Pearis, Sr., British army officer of the French & Indian Wars (leading his Cherokee bands in the Forbes expedition) and the Revolution.  He fought alongside George Washington at Fort Duquesne and against him after 1776, finally being exiled to Bermuda at the end of the Revolution.  

Journal of the American Revolution  RICHARD PEARIS AND THE MOBILIZATION OF SOUTH CAROLINA’S BACKCOUNTRY LOYALISTS

Richard Pearis Historical Marker 1765 001.jpg

Woodsmen of the World Historical Marker

Very cool!!

• 1 year later...