USN Civil War #272

aerialbridge

aerialbridge

Thanks, I saw that and good to know that is the sum total of info on these at this point.  Be interesting to see where it ends.  12 years ago, it was not uncommon for an unattributed one to sell on ebay for more than $750 in a competitive auction, but we know times have changed.  This one looks like it's the original ribbon to me, based on the stitching.  

It's a beautiful medal but unfortunately falls in a gap in the rolls. There is a block of records in the National Archives (Record Group 24, Entry 204) that probably contains an index card that would provide an attribution for this medal but these records are filed alphabetically by name and contain lot of other non-medal correspondence. It would probably take several hundred hours of work to go through all of the boxes in order to find just the medal cards.  Attached is a sample of one of these index cards.

RG 24 E 204 (4).jpg

MMcollector

That’s getting up there close to a rim engraved attributed piece. I was surprised to see it go this high! 

aerialbridge
2 hours ago, MMcollector said:

That’s getting up there close to a rim engraved attributed piece. I was surprised to see it go this high! 

Same here,  assuming it goes through.

Bobertizkewl

I was not a bidder in this auction, but I did contact the seller for more information. This medal was rim engraved with the recipients name and his ship. He was a sailor on the USS Augusta.

aerialbridge

That explains the final price.   I asked if there was a number engraved on the rim.    Guess it was too much effort to say,  "Oh, yeah, there's a name and a boat..."    Two tacos short of a combo plate.  They got that price only because medal collectors always ask when they see an obvious BB&B campaign medal.   Want to share the name so OMSA can add another name to the Civil War medal roll  (unless they require visible proof)?   That low a # possibly an officer or CPO. Others probably noticed the medal is flipped around so pinning it will display the reverse and the suspension ring is deformed showing that was done without care.   I'd guess perhaps another brooch with that nice ribbon was swapped for the original one as the most logical reason to do that.

civil war.jpg

Civil War2.jpg