German Bring backs

manifestdestiny

manifestdestiny

Hey y'all,

I just wanted to share a few things that I acquired relatively recently. My knowledge of German Militaria centers solely on Wehrmacht field gear/ equipment so the insignia is quite foreign to me to say the least.

Anyway, I used to do yard work for a woman that lived across the street from me as a kid. Her first husband sent this helmet--along with a Luger and a World War One vintage sawbuck bayonet (I am not quite sure where those items ended up)--home to her during the war. Unfortunately, he was killed in a car wreck a few weeks after the war ended. She married two others after the war, and I got to know her third husband very well. He was a seabee during the war. She gave me this German helmet about a year before she died as partial payment for the yard work I did for her....the amount of overgrowth I cleared out made it a fair trade for sure.

I don't know if it shows up well in the pictures, but the exterior helmet is essentially black. The interior is a dark green. I do believe that the paint job is period; however, someone wrote their family name on the helmet rim and on the line at some point.

The next group comes from a good family friend of ours. Our friend's father obtained these during the surrender as well. The cased night fighter Luftwaffe clasp is certainly the star of this grouping. The Luftwaffe collar tabs and one set of shoulder boards have some moth damage. I assume the belt buckle and the button are of World War One/Weimar vintage, and the ninnies are a nice touch as well. My friend's father is still alive, and I am in the process of setting up an interview with I'm to pinpoint the exact provenance of these items and of his military service in general. 

I hope y'all find this stuff as interesting as I do.

1helmet.jpg

2helmet.jpg

3helmet.jpg

1insignia.jpg

2insignia.jpg

3insignia.jpg

4insignia.jpg

5insignia.jpg

6insignia.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

manifestdestiny

I forgot to add that the helmet was sent home by Frank Palmisano who served in the 447th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion. He died on May 12, 1945 and is buried in Luxembourg's American Cemetery.

That is a great looking night fighter clasp. I would love to have that in my collection.

10 minutes ago, sundance said:

Great items. I see Frank Palmisano died right after VE day. Did he die of wounds - if you know?

The OP’s original post said the first husband - presumably him - died in a car wreck.  How tragic to survive a war, only to get killed in a car accident shortly thereafter.  

manifestdestiny

Thank y'all,

Unfortunately, the only thing that was relayed to me was that it was a car accident. I hope to find out the circumstances involving it, but that may be a tall order considering how long it has been at this point.

I should have more luck on the other items and will update accordingly.

Radio Operator

Great items, I wouldn't be too worried about the dark color of the helmet that's not uncommon on M42's. 

• 3 weeks later...

4insignia.jpg

The armband is an SA sports one....Yellow collar tabs are Luftwaffe....Yellow for FJ (paratrooper) or pilot branch...Buckle and button look to be Imperial German (WW1).....Insignia shown is Political eagle for the peak visor...Two pins w/arrow are HJ (Hitler Youth) proficiency awards.....The cog wheel w/swastika is DAF (German Labor Front)....Bodes

manifestdestiny
2 hours ago, Bodes said:

4insignia.jpg

The armband is an SA sports one....Yellow collar tabs are Luftwaffe....Yellow for FJ (paratrooper) or pilot branch...Buckle and button look to be Imperial German (WW1).....Insignia shown is Political eagle for the peak visor...Two pins w/arrow are HJ (Hitler Youth) proficiency awards.....The cog wheel w/swastika is DAF (German Labor Front)....Bodes

Thank you very much for the clarification. It will be interesting once I have a chance to sit down with the vet/family in order to find out exactly for he obtained them...