beginning vietam reenactment gear on a budget

daswrack

6 hours ago, LE LOUP DES MERS said:

I do want to point out that playing cards in helmets are 100% historically accurate yes not every solder carried the ace of spades or playing cards in there helmet but enough evidence is floating around that playing cards/ace of spades were carried in helmets. However my problem is Hollywood, Hollywood over did the whole ace of spades card. In Hollywood almost every solder carried the ace of spades card which is not the case. However like I said enough evidence is floating around that playing cards were carried in helmets. Anyway, just wanted to point that out and original pictures for proof. 

why-did-american-soldiers-5.jpg

gettyimages-515292348-612x612.jpg

why-did-american-soldiers.jpg

yea, ace of spades is overdone, but i could imagine that each troop having a different card in their helmet could help with identification if you didnt have dog tags or name tapes on you

6 hours ago, LE LOUP DES MERS said:

Nice impression, awhile back I did a Vietnam impression here is the link if you want to check it out. Definitely let me know what you think. https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/362820-1st-infantry-division-vietnam-impression/ it took me three years to put together and a ton of research lol. But, I in courage you/anyone wanting to do impressions, to do tons of research before wearing your impression out in public it will definitely pay off. 

its a nice impression you have linked me to, given what im aiming for, which is 9th infantry division, flak vests werent seen too often and didnt carry quite as much stuff

• 4 weeks later...
USMC_COLLECTOR

I'm in a reenacting group that does 9th infantry. Use 3rd pattern fatigues, M56 equipment, jungle boots. The regular items. Kinda like in Forrest Gump, the 9th infantry is the unit in that film.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:12 AM, daswrack said:

its a nice impression you have linked me to, given what im aiming for, which is 9th infantry division, flak vests werent seen too often and didnt carry quite as much stuff

18 hours ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

I'm in a reenacting group that does 9th infantry. Use 3rd pattern fatigues, M56 equipment, jungle boots. The regular items. Kinda like in Forrest Gump, the 9th infantry is the unit in that film.

ive got basically the same, ive a 9th inf. pin on the mitchell cover

• 3 weeks later...

i am no fan of rothco anything to say the least, but theyre the only nearing decent affordable option, if better doesnt come out soon when it comes to jungle boots, im making my own with 60 bucks and 30 minutes at the hobby lobby