beginning vietam reenactment gear on a budget

daswrack

as some may know, i am eternally tight on money so i have better things to spend my money on, but i need a hobby, and keep in mind i am in fact what does qualify as a child under us law so its not like im going hungry if i get some fatigues, but as a long term goal i am putting together vietnam war field gear kit and decent jungle fatigues are quite much, so im looking for a good hold over/ temporary item until im financially stable enough for some good moore fatigues. i was thinking about getting some standard og-507s since they look the part of og 107s but even 107s were barely used in vietnam in front lines. looking into rothcos but ive heard mixed feelings. and for web gear, im going with m1956, with the combat load as specified by "heavy hints for light packs" with the 1st aid pack moved to the shoulder. standard riflemans' combat load is what im going for, also ive switched the 2nd canteen out for an entrenching tool because practically i personally only need one canteen. i'm rather planned out but some extra help and tips from people who know what theyre doing a bit more would be nice. this is the source of much of my feildgear for the m1956 stuff: https://www.ebay.com/usr/blamethepostoffice

yes ive read through the rules, from the way it sounds, 18+ for buying selling and wanted sections, everything else is fair game it looks

• 5 months later...

.......a lot depends on mindset, your own personal goals and any unit requirements. If your personal goal is a truly authentic portrayal and dictated by a unit. You will need to dig into your research, listen to those that have put things together and prepare to open your wallet. There is still plenty of VN era gear available for reasonable prices. If you keep your eyes open. A lot of old veterans stuff are starting to pop up in yard sales and flea markets. My best advice, find either an existing group of a few like minded individuals and work together. Unless you have a dedicated venue like a museaum, park, library or some such to partner with. Being a lone wolf can be problemental if you show up someplace and the hosts have different standards or expectations. On a like note, I no longer reenact. Just for personal reasons, I purchased a pair of the Rothco VN issue trousers. Don't know (or really care) how authentic they are, don't have an original pair to compare them to. They're more than comfortable to wear to the shooting range. Good luck in your journey.

USMC_COLLECTOR

I am a hunter, eternally hunting for bargains. I have been pretty luck to find the items that I have needed for a fair price. But as luck would have it, I have a neighbor who has given me some more pricey items for free. I got a set of M1956 equipment, and a float coat. The prices you want to look for is M1956 equipment for under 175.00, prices fluctuate based on the auction. If you want reproductions, go for it, but sometimes, especially with field gear, they start to approach the same price. I started out with all reproductions, and in the span of one year, had gotten all originals. A good website for some items, such as jungle fatigues is https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/. I prefer to buy items in the US, but I was very pleased with the accuracy of the jungle fatigues I purchased here. But what you want to do is create a google doc, or forum, where you can list every item you want, and the price. Then you can see how big an investment of time and money it is going to be. Using this system I have been able to price out every 20th century US war, and seen just how much time and money this would take. Also, with jungle fatigues, go thrifting. I was able to buy a set of unissued 3rd pattern jungle fatigues for 40 dollars! 1968 dated, and I found special forces patches in the front pocket, so you never know what you are going to find. But, to get back to the main idea of this thread, the more prepared you are, with your time and your money, the more wholesome experience you are going to have. And an added bonus to you, since you live on the east coast, there are numerous reenacting groups to join. Join one, then you can get a set of equipment and uniforms that are accurate to what unit they are doing. They can tutor you as well! If you use your connections right, you can get deals and opportunities that you otherwise would have. That's just my two cents, sorry that it is so long... 

USMC_COLLECTOR

If you give me your sizes of clothes, and shoes and can put you together a sample list. 

Here's an example...

(Here is my Vietnam War USMC Uniform)

Vietnam War USMC

Uniform- 81.00

ERDL Uniform- 110.00

Undershirt- 10.00

USMC Cover- 15.00

Helmet- 50.00

Helmet Cover- 25.00

Boots- 60.00

Total- 351.00

Equipment

M1955 Flak Vest- 400.00

Webbing- 182.00

Canteens- 60.00

USMC First Aid Kit- 30.00

USMC M1941 Haversack- 100.00

Bandoleers-14.00

Shovel- 50.00

Flashlight- 10.00

USMC Kabar- 25.00

Poncho Liner- 20.00

Wet Weather Parka- 60.00

Total- 951.00

Combined Total- 1302.00

This is what I'm talking about doing in google docs.

Very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

You should really go at this with an idea as to when and who you want to portray. As a rule of thumb, depicting a 1960s-‘70s Marine is going to be more time consuming and costly than piecing together a US Army infantryman impression of the same period. Personally, I’ve been gradually piecing together a Vietnam impression on a budget for a few years now, and I would suggest you start off with a focus on the basics (ie uniform, helmet, and M1956 field gear). 

Early on in my collecting, I scored most of my jungle fatigues and basic field gear from local military surplus shops that deal in authentic gov’t issued products. You’ll also find M1956 gear and uniform pieces at antique stores and flea markets, but the surplus store is your best friend when it comes to stuff from the 60s and 70s. Considering you’re on a budget, I’d set up a list as USMC Collector suggested, and gradually chalk off one item at a time, as your finances permit. 

I’ll be more specific though. The Mitchell helmet covers aren’t getting any cheaper, and because they were used by practically all infantrymen in the conflict, that would be a solid purchase. Additionally, if you want to add some flair to your kit, you could snag an ARVN rucksack, which go for roughly $100, give or take. Jungle first aid kits from WW2 are around $30-40 and that would add some uniqueness as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
USMC_COLLECTOR

If you go 70’s you can choose a lot. You need to keep your field gear tight since you are going as Army. I would go with 3rd pattern jungle fatigues. I would choose something other than Rothco. You can get real fatigues for around the same price. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good day everyone, I am finally back. I've actually finished the impression. I've my uniform is 3rd pattern ripstop, boots are 3rd pattern. I've gone for basic combat field load as specified in heavy hints for light packs. Everything is original except for repro belt, canteen, and boots, those horrid awful rothco boots was my most cost effective option, though i find them uncomfortable and will probably usually just wear my dms full leather boots

I actually got most of my m1956 gear from a fellow at the flea market, along with the jungle fatigue jacket, Mitchell helmet cover and helmet band from him, and I got myself the trousers from a surplus shop, as well as the belt and a period dated duffel bag to keep it all in

• 2 weeks later...
USMC_COLLECTOR
On 12/21/2021 at 8:06 PM, daswrack said:

Good day everyone, I am finally back. I've actually finished the impression. I've my uniform is 3rd pattern ripstop, boots are 3rd pattern. I've gone for basic combat field load as specified in heavy hints for light packs. Everything is original except for repro belt, canteen, and boots, those horrid awful rothco boots was my most cost effective option, though i find them uncomfortable and will probably usually just wear my dms full leather boots

Sounds awesome man! If you are a size 10, 11 N you can buy Vibram sole jungle boots for CHEAP. Around $60.00.

36 minutes ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Sounds awesome man! If you are a size 10, 11 N you can buy Vibram sole jungle boots for CHEAP. Around $60.00.

i can look about

17 hours ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Do you happen to have photos of your impression by now?

Ill try to get a picture of it soon, still away for a holiday

3 hours ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Not too bad! In my personal opinion I would get rid of the ace card in your helmet band. 

not an ace card, its king of spades, i did remove it, but i put it in as a joke because i have an e-tool in my impression but most people ditch it

the pin on the helmet cover is an interesting one, its a 9th infantry division pin thats been adhered atop an expert marksman ship badge

• 3 weeks later...
LE LOUP DES MERS
On 1/1/2022 at 1:46 PM, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Not too bad! In my personal opinion I would get rid of the ace card in your helmet band. 

I do want to point out that playing cards in helmets are 100% historically accurate yes not every solder carried the ace of spades or playing cards in there helmet but enough evidence is floating around that playing cards/ace of spades were carried in helmets. However my problem is Hollywood, Hollywood over did the whole ace of spades card. In Hollywood almost every solder carried the ace of spades card which is not the case. However like I said enough evidence is floating around that playing cards were carried in helmets. Anyway, just wanted to point that out and original pictures for proof. 

why-did-american-soldiers-5.jpg

gettyimages-515292348-612x612.jpg

why-did-american-soldiers.jpg

LE LOUP DES MERS
On 1/1/2022 at 1:15 PM, daswrack said:

found this older one on my phone here

20210926_161750.jpg

Nice impression, awhile back I did a Vietnam impression here is the link if you want to check it out. Definitely let me know what you think. https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/362820-1st-infantry-division-vietnam-impression/ it took me three years to put together and a ton of research lol. But, I in courage you/anyone wanting to do impressions, to do tons of research before wearing your impression out in public it will definitely pay off.