Jump to content

NPM Carbine for Opinions


Connor Bills
 Share

Recommended Posts

Connor Bills

Opportunity to purchase this and I’m just curious what my fellow carbine enthusiasts think about it. 

D27B06B2-EDAD-4B4C-8AE8-C3BDD5248E13.jpeg

EC4CC4A3-1F08-4B5F-BAB1-070324969E66.jpeg

4212F74E-FBFE-4EC2-8485-224C46D40B34.jpeg

A798FADF-210B-4A4D-AA1E-7EFF8C29DFB7.jpeg

E8C6AC94-D63F-404D-B819-EC9B969AB837.jpeg

7031963F-9ED8-464E-A1EA-E9E730484920.jpeg

2D1E5FBA-B24E-4A23-9C1B-B67575C9CA7B.jpeg

542F22E8-0715-41CD-BD9A-D78CA8450234.jpeg

CB2E636B-3B1E-4664-8377-B5BDFE641806.jpeg

A6A9F0A1-6E97-415F-84BB-B6E228B6AFD0.jpeg

57606E10-8195-4003-9F77-BA859DD7D125.jpeg

02510614-F11C-4A78-8FF3-A528C6EF73F9.jpeg

21186E49-9F40-4E38-9B87-F1EC215A0847.jpeg

FE2CCFAC-7B09-4185-A71F-3DE2889EE7B5.jpeg

309E364B-968C-4EE6-ADC2-838BD726D04C.jpeg

6C288F01-9A2E-43B0-8CA5-1270E07CE705.jpeg

2F196910-8789-4EB5-8F32-70094976AB2F.jpeg

C073004E-F64C-4748-B925-A83665F1C11A.jpeg

4B85A6E5-E985-4D0C-9B86-C99F654E7275.jpeg

9C2D1326-6C02-4F94-940E-88E1FD686F34.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tarheeltim

From what I see, I like it.  Obviously, it's not possible to see how all pertinent parts are maker marked from the photos.  Trimble stock is definitely correct.  Early features like flip sight, barrel band, and safety are nice.  Can't see how barrel is marked or if it has import stamp.  Even if it's not all matching NPM, would be nice to have if the price is favorable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connor Bills
2 hours ago, tarheeltim said:

From what I see, I like it.  Obviously, it's not possible to see how all pertinent parts are maker marked from the photos.  Trimble stock is definitely correct.  Early features like flip sight, barrel band, and safety are nice.  Can't see how barrel is marked or if it has import stamp.  Even if it's not all matching NPM, would be nice to have if the price is favorable.

All internal parts are marked for npm. I stripped it down and made sure of that. The stock cartouches are what I’m skeptical of. There are just too many fakes around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connor Bills

Barrel is a marlin 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

collector
14 hours ago, Connor Bills said:

All internal parts are marked for npm. I stripped it down and made sure of that. The stock cartouches are what I’m skeptical of. There are just too many fakes around. 

 

I agree about the cartouches, but still a nice piece. Sling looks good from here. Interested to see what the experts think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sundance

Very nice with a bunch of early features. Those were made in Rochester, NY not far from where I am. The National Postal Meter's buildings are still there but I believe NPM is long gone.   I understand Trimble was a baby furniture maker before the war. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

silverplate

Looks good. Matches the features and markings on my NPM carbine. The Marlin barrel is unique. I couldn't tell from your photos but is there a letter stamped on the heel of the receiver? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connor Bills
1 hour ago, silverplate said:

Looks good. Matches the features and markings on my NPM carbine. The Marlin barrel is unique. I couldn't tell from your photos but is there a letter stamped on the heel of the receiver? 

I do not believe so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lambo35

Has a Rock Ola marked front band, Would have to check "War Baby" to see if that may be okay.

 

Chuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lambo35

Just checked "War Baby", there was no integration of front bands to NPM from "Rock Ola", maybe the "Carbine Club" newsletter has some information regarding this anomaly.

 

Chuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connor Bills
6 hours ago, lambo35 said:

Just checked "War Baby", there was no integration of front bands to NPM from "Rock Ola", maybe the "Carbine Club" newsletter has some information regarding this anomaly.

 

Chuck.

Carbine club members agree that the band may be original to rifle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lambo35

Carbine collectors and those who have the books agree that "you can never say never" when it comes to what may have come on a particular carbine during their production period. There have been thousands of anomalies noticed on otherwise correct as expected examples observed over the last 75 years. The "Rock Ola" front band may be original to that particular carbine. It surely is a very fine example of a NPM rifle, it really looks too good.

 

Chuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connor Bills
3 hours ago, lambo35 said:

Carbine collectors and those who have the books agree that "you can never say never" when it comes to what may have come on a particular carbine during their production period. There have been thousands of anomalies noticed on otherwise correct as expected examples observed over the last 75 years. The "Rock Ola" front band may be original to that particular carbine. It surely is a very fine example of a NPM rifle, it really looks too good.

 

Chuck.

Agreed. That’s one of the first things to learn when dealing with these 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

everforward

To my eye it is very nice, and looking at the pics I’d say the most wear found anywhere on it is on the buttplate.....it is a pretty crispy example overall, wood and metal bits all have lots of condition. While the cartouches are sharp, so is the rest of it.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USARV72

A give away is the cosmoline on flip sight, very nice piece. Have an OOP carbine reference book that has dates of mfg. by month. Using the serial # allotments one can get good idea which week a Carbine was mfg. Years ago when I really collected had all but an IBM. I would buy it unless just crazy price. Know a young collector that bought a presentation M-1 Carbine for under $1500!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lambo35

This is not meant to be a criticism of this particular carbine, but, I have been puzzled by the by the upside down "S" on the left side of the rear sight base of several observed carbines. I have wondered if they are post war made, arsenal sights or outright reproductions. Has any one noticed this characteristic [the upside down "S"] on verified, unmolested M1 carbines?

 

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connor Bills
15 minutes ago, lambo35 said:

This is not meant to be a criticism of this particular carbine, but, I have been puzzled by the by the upside down "S" on the left side of the rear sight base of several observed carbines. I have wondered if they are post war made, arsenal sights or outright reproductions. Has any one noticed this characteristic [the upside down "S"] on verified, unmolested M1 carbines?

 

Chuck

I like to see those little imperfections on my Carbines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The flip sight looks a little bit suspicious to me. If you post over in the CMP site, they will tell you for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connor Bills
43 minutes ago, gap said:

The flip sight looks a little bit suspicious to me. If you post over in the CMP site, they will tell you for sure. 

Flip sight is golden 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
hyrax222

Just beautifull! A true gem. No appologies needed.

 

Don't fall down the rabbit hole of carbine collecting!P1060671.JPG.6d887e3f42e5e160a436966ff36c9d23.JPGThe endless variations will driveP1060702.JPG.331f2d682fb0accb0592320fa5ab0f79.JPGP1060672.JPG.659858b67e82535d85b8a9fd24979fd0.JPG you mad and hoover your wallet!

P1060682.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connor Bills
4 hours ago, hyrax222 said:

Just beautifull! A true gem. No appologies needed.

 

Don't fall down the rabbit hole of carbine collecting!P1060671.JPG.6d887e3f42e5e160a436966ff36c9d23.JPGThe endless variations will driveP1060702.JPG.331f2d682fb0accb0592320fa5ab0f79.JPGP1060672.JPG.659858b67e82535d85b8a9fd24979fd0.JPG you mad and hoover your wallet!

P1060682.JPG

Haha much too late for me. I was bitten long ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...