Early Bird Society estate lot

albatrosdva

albatrosdva

Thought you all might be interested in this small, but interesting group I purchased last week and received in the mail yesterday. Howard Franklin Wehrle was a member of the "Early Bird Society" made up of 598 early aviators. "Membership was limited to those who piloted a glider, gas balloon, or airplane, prior to December 17, 1916." Howard Wehrle went to Curtiss Flying School in April 1916. Went into US Federal Service in July, 1916. His first solo flight was in June and he was made a Reserve Military Aviator in March 1917. I found an estate sale, evidently from the family, because it had this stuff from Mr. Wehrle plus USMA stuff from his son in law John R Ross II (USMA 1943). Earliest piece I got was his overseas signal corps wing and globe collar insignia. Not sure when he left the Air Service. In 1922 he was on the Board of Governors the first year of the National Aeronautic Association of the USA. He later became secretary of the NAA in 1924. He also was the manager of the 1926 National Air Race in Philadelphia. Hope you enjoy. The Air Race medal is pretty worn because he used it as a watch fob.

DSCF7730.JPG

DSCF7731.JPG

DSCF7732.JPG

DSCF7733.JPG

DSCF7734.JPG

DSCF7735.JPG

DSCF7736.JPG

DSCF7738.JPG

DSCF7739.JPG

DSCF7740.JPG

DSCF7741.JPG

Blacksmith

Congrats, I have never seen one of those documents.

And I agree with Warguy, that watch is pure art.  

manayunkman

What a rare find.

Good job acquiring it.

The Hamilton watch looks like a size 18 with a gold plated case that’s guaranteed for 25 years.

Looks like it lasted a bit longer. 

Any idea what the presentation is for? 

Does it run and keep time?

ocsfollowme

Pocket watch was made 1921. Agree that it is gold plated. Really a superb grouping as others have stated. 

The air races medal is neat as most were in bronze as a medallion labeled as "contestant." 

Top notch. One of the originals. Thanks for posting!

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 4.15.55 PM.png

albatrosdva
28 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

What a rare find.

Good job acquiring it.

The Hamilton watch looks like a size 18 with a gold plated case that’s guaranteed for 25 years.

Looks like it lasted a bit longer. 

Any idea what the presentation is for? 

Does it run and keep time?

It runs and keeps time. I have not figured out what the watch was from. Could be when he started the Kansas City flying club or when he became a governor for NAA. I think both those were that year. He never got away from aviation. I've spent most of the evening researching him. He was a constant proponent of air mail and passenger service. Encouraging communities along the transcontinental route to make improvements to air fields to make air ports. He actually managed a construction company starting in 1919 that one of their major businesses was hanger construction. Aside from his duties as a governor for NAA which he did at least to 1929 when he started managing a little start up company with a fellow named Clyde Cessna.

albatrosdva
17 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

I just noticed your avatar is a watch.

Do you collect watch groups ? 

not even just groups. I love military history and I love watches. If I find a watch with a military history, even better :-) . The avatar watch is a WWI trench watch engraved to the individual when he went into service in 1918.