M1 American Helmet Help Please

Stevo123

Hi to all collectors I’m a newbie to the forum 

please can someone help I’ve purchased a M1 helmet and liner the liner got a mark U S 6 M 11. And the steel pot is heat stamped 1 7574.

is there anyone out there tell me more about the helmet is it ww2 Vietnam era??

all help will be much appreciated thanks collectors regards Stevo

5A940954-93FB-446F-B554-97B7EE1071AE.jpeg

D024C46A-0AE5-49A9-AD80-DB9DC089C5FA.jpeg

D5C7BC98-6391-4C5A-A59E-36DC5C16A5E0.jpeg

D1C16C1D-E2B5-4346-AE95-4B46E0D128A2.jpeg

Ingersoll shell, the 7000s puts its around early 67 or so. 

The liner mark is typical in P55 liners. Does it have a nape section? OD #7 cotton webbing and no front eye hole? 

Hi there thanks for your help much Appreciated.

I don’t understand what you mean as I’m new to M1’s 

No problem, do you have a picture of the liner interior and exterior? 

Your shell has original paint and straps with a good war time date, worth around $40 - $50 or so IMO. 

The liner could be in the same price range once more details are shown.

J

The liner is from the late 50s to early 60s. It's in very rough shape and doesn't hold much value. The swearband looks to be made of HBT, the swearband is worth more than the liner itself in It's state.

J

Thanks J much Appreciated for your help with the helmet so it’s a Vietnam era helmet do you think leaving the liner in it’s state or painting it & repairing it to it’s original state the steel pot is in amazing condition.

how much could i pay to pick up a new liner to go with the helmet… cheers Steve

2 hours ago, Stevo123 said:

What’s HBT justin???

“HerringBone Twill” which relates to the weaving of the “webbing” in your liner and in this case your sweatband (circular part with the Leather) . There were a few different varieties from WWII on. Khaki colored OD3 in WWII than switched to a Greener OD7 color afterwards. 
Z

4 hours ago, Stevo123 said:

Thanks J much Appreciated for your help with the helmet so it’s a Vietnam era helmet do you think leaving the liner in it’s state or painting it & repairing it to it’s original state the steel pot is in amazing condition.

Hi Steve, you are better off replacing the liner as the time and effort to repair and repaint the liner wouldn't be worth your wild, as many collectors don't touch restored helmets, especially post WWII. 

You can pick up a decent Vietnam era liner for $30 or so, you could use your current swearband in the new liner as it's correct for VN era. 

You need a Mitchell's pattern leaf camouflage helmet cover and non cat eye helmet band and you'll have yourself a nice basic example of a Vietnam War era helmet.

J

CavalryCombatant
11 hours ago, Stevo123 said:

Personally wouldn’t repaint, mainly because there’s a bit of an armor corps decal left, probably armor school.

Agreed with the aforementioned comment, just get a new liner if you want.  And don’t try to uncover the decal, looks good as it is! 

E0BD239B-25D4-4F70-B71B-3F92DE9313D0.jpeg

image.png

13 hours ago, Justin said:

Hi Steve, you are better off replacing the liner as the time and effort to repair and repaint the liner wouldn't be worth your wild, as many collectors don't touch restored helmets, especially post WWII. 

You can pick up a decent Vietnam era liner for $30 or so, you could use your current swearband in the new liner as it's correct for VN era. 

You need a Mitchell's pattern leaf camouflage helmet cover and non cat eye helmet band and you'll have yourself a nice basic example of a Vietnam War era helmet.

J

Thanks j for the info much appreciated