MBU-12 Comm Cord

rje71

Hello all, 

Looking for a comm cord for my current project. It is just about read to go in my display case/area but is in need of a comm cord to finish it off.  The only ones I seem to be able to find don't really seem to be cost effective.  Anyone have any ideas where else one might look to find one ? 

Thanks in advance for any help ! 

Robert 

gentex-communication-cable-cx-4707c_1_10fea107a8bb75691a8cc8420826fb1c.jpg

188286132_497575011664062_7062162753163506983_n.jpg

I've found some at online specialized shops, but like you said, they're not "cost effective" indeed (new from old stock cord for USAF masks = 75-100$ range, depending on the integrated amplifier), plus the 2 cable management keepers to add (10$ each).
Anyway, the correct nomenclature for this comm cord is CX-4707, perhaps it can be of help for additional searches, say, on the used market ?

Hopefully Bob here will have one for you.

Let us know -and see- when your project is completed !

-Gauthier

11 hours ago, 72psb said:

Let me dig around and see if I have one.

Bob

Thank You Bob !  Do let me know if you happen to come up with something :)  Regards, Robert

11 hours ago, 72psb said:

Thanks for the response as well Gauthier ! Hopefully will be able to come up with one eventually :)

mohawkALSE

I don't understand why the prices on the 4707 cables jumped up so much.  These used to be found for like 35 dollars brand new.  What setup is that helmet and mask supposed to be for that it has the quick disconnect fitting on the mask vs the 3 pin bayonet type?

mohawkALSE,

not sure on the quick disconnect fitting, that is the way it came...  I am going to use this to depict late 80's early 90's so will either just leave it or may try to replace it at some point. 

And I agree is really unfortunate that such parts are becoming more expensive, it honestly doesn't really make much sense. 

I think the comm cords' prices are basically paired with the masks's, which I must say have grown disturbingly high compared to full helmet sets'.

Perhaps that's because masks are less durable items than shells, or maybe collectors are getting more and more interested in owning their shells paired with the appropriate mask ? Who knows ? But in the end, these prices are more likely prone to specualtive rise than matching the items' real value. I remember discussing this by PM with you, Mohawk.

I mean, on the one hand one can find a full vintage helmet set with mask between 400/ 700$, let's say an average of 500 (sometimes less, there are real bargains to make, I'm obviously not talking about the "instant buy" 1000+$ sets), and on the other hand, a lone MBU-12/P can sell itself for no less than 500$ (even more when it comes to green Navy MBU-14/P... the "Top Gun" effect no doubt). Poor condition "vintage" MS-22001 with cracked /torn hose are also often listed for 250$ and up to 400... Shame.
No wonder the comm cords turned overpriced as well.

On a personal note, I'm experiencing quite the same problem as you are, Robert.

I've been lucky enough to find a New-from-old-stock-still-in-container 1954 MS-22001 full set a few days ago (straps / hardshell / snaps / hose / O² connector, the whole deal) for about 230$, which is IMO a really fair price, considering. Now that I'm looking for the correct comm cord ending with 2-pin PJ-292 plug (with or even w/o the microphone) to complete my H-4 helmet set, I find these obsolete comm / microphone assemblies around 70$...
That's just not worth the price...

mohawkALSE
20 hours ago, rje71 said:

mohawkALSE,

not sure on the quick disconnect fitting, that is the way it came...  I am going to use this to depict late 80's early 90's so will either just leave it or may try to replace it at some point. 

And I agree is really unfortunate that such parts are becoming more expensive, it honestly doesn't really make much sense. 

What is holding the hose to the combo valve (mask side) and what is holding the quick disconnect fitting at the end?  Looks like there is no OEM metal hose clamps or alternate zip ties holding them in place.   Those QD fittings are really only for masks that would not be using a CRU-60, such as a mask that might be worn at times in the cockpit of an Airlift type aircraft or for parachute ops (HALO/HAHO) which dont use a CRU either.   There are a few other applications that would used them.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry , Have not found the cord yet. I know its buried in the stash somewhere. I'll let you know when I run across it.

On 6/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, 72psb said:

Sorry , Have not found the cord yet. I know its buried in the stash somewhere. I'll let you know when I run across it.

Just now, rje71 said:

Bob, 

Thank you for continuing to look !  Much appreciated !

• 2 weeks later...