US FLAGS, PENNANTS & GUIDONS Collection from all service branches

tdurbinmas

CNY Militaria

Wow, an amazing collection! You have definitely cornered the market on flags :)

tdurbinmas
5 hours ago, CNY Militaria said:

Thanks! I have bought a couple nice ones from you. Please keep me in mind when you find others. You get great collections yourself! 

tdurbinmas
5 hours ago, CNY Militaria said:

Thanks! I have bought a couple nice ones from you. Please keep me in mind when you find others. You get great collections yourself! 

88A76301-244A-44A2-AA52-B3F56E654CB8.jpeg

E27A481E-268F-490F-BEA7-A046FB047052.jpeg

8E756B90-647E-4E1A-B7D3-68F49644C0A2.jpeg

89CEE878-286E-40DF-B2A4-0B8A667D4C3E.jpeg

C09CF3A4-6ABA-482A-AC2E-9641403A6A6C.jpeg

8DC1AD51-5A10-4437-9502-96909C9E6708.jpeg

77F0BAFA-4E60-4DBE-AC5E-F2E316594ACC.jpeg

CDD6DBAD-C138-41D2-A8A9-F6216E49D7DE.jpeg

60307F96-3E9F-447E-ACC9-36BFF6E0B208.jpeg

73897DE9-26AA-4C26-9203-504FFD36DB0F.jpeg

EFEE96C7-D19D-4833-AA6F-1C9549B3D9B9.jpeg

D392A51E-7E62-46CE-8A2B-BDC9FC000562.png

97304165-A880-4107-90F1-251903F72A4B.jpeg

• 1 month later...
dhcoleterracina

On that silk engineers flag that looks to be badly deteriorating, what can be done?

tdurbinmas
2 hours ago, dhcoleterracina said:

On that silk engineers flag that looks to be badly deteriorating, what can be done?

Yeah that’s a tough one. That flag is about 110 years old at least. And it was definitely used. And not taken care of very well. Believe it or not all of the embroidery and the scroll are intact. But half of the red silk the field is missing. There’s really not much you could do with that one except Attempt to frame it with a red background. Currently I have it stored in non-bleached muslin. The silk that remains is actually very soft and fairly stable.Attempt to frame it with a red background. Currently I have it stored in non-bleached muslin. 

dhcoleterracina

I was curious about what causes silk deterioration and I stumbled on a short article. They tested the effects of light, heat, humidity on silk. They found that there was little deterioration to the silk using UV filtered light and significant deterioration with elevated temps and relative humidity. Earlier opinions were that the light caused the damage. So the short answer according to them is to use museum grade plexi if you choose to frame and keep the temps and humidity down. The question left unanswered is that once it starts to deteriorate, is there anyway to slow/stop it.  If only we had a textile conservator on hand. 

tdurbinmas
On 7/2/2021 at 4:46 PM, dhcoleterracina said:

I was curious about what causes silk deterioration and I stumbled on a short article. They tested the effects of light, heat, humidity on silk. They found that there was little deterioration to the silk using UV filtered light and significant deterioration with elevated temps and relative humidity. Earlier opinions were that the light caused the damage. So the short answer according to them is to use museum grade plexi if you choose to frame and keep the temps and humidity down. The question left unanswered is that once it starts to deteriorate, is there anyway to slow/stop it.  If only we had a textile conservator on hand. 

I store all of my flags individually in plastic zipper bags in a dark storage area in my finished basement. It’s fully climate controlled at around 70 with less than 50% humidity. The framed flags are in the same basement with no sunlight or incandescent lighting. So far so good. I’m sure many of the flags came from rough environments. Many had been pinned to walls or left hanging on poles in direct sunlight so hopefully now the damage is stopped. The fragile ones get wrapped in Unbleached muslin, loosely rolled or folded and stored in plastic bags. I buy 6 mil clear plastic tubing 8” wide and cut it to length. 

The flags I have acquired that are most in distress are ones that were kept in sunlight and that were dry cleaned. 

dhcoleterracina

Sounds like you're doing all that can be done. 

I've just used the plastic tubs but the zipper bags sound good too. I guess if you pack them separately then you can mark on the bag what flag is there? or do you tag each flag too? After a while one flag starts to look like another so record keeping becomes important. 

tdurbinmas
31 minutes ago, dhcoleterracina said:

Sounds like you're doing all that can be done. 

I've just used the plastic tubs but the zipper bags sound good too. I guess if you pack them separately then you can mark on the bag what flag is there? or do you tag each flag too? After a while one flag starts to look like another so record keeping becomes important. 

Yes, I bag them individually with a label to each one. Then I keep a log of the contents of each tote. It’s fairly organized.  One day I’m going to get them separated by branch and type. 

T Ambrosini

Wow...  Hands down, this has got to be one of the best collections of flags under one roof.  Very impressive!!

Tom

Adam Lewis

Our museum was given this center image from an old flag.  The donor said it was the center of a WW1 French flag.  It's about 15 inches dia. made from (now) fragile silk.

We have no idea what it is and would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

733483892_Flagcenter1100px.jpg.1fcc263a8dd372b499550ac5cf0fa3cc.jpg

HardWay

Absolutely fantastic. I feel as though I should have paid an admission price to see that collection!

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing collection!!  Here is my one and only.  Satin weave, but not sure of what material was used.  Doubled sided with separate panels.  It appears that the original blue background has faded.  Extensive research has not provided the identity.  Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Al

IMG_5208_1.JPG

IMG_5168_1.JPG

tdurbinmas

Thanks for your comments!

Very nice theater-made flag. It is an 18th Aviation Company design, but who knows which one it could be! There are lots of 18th aviation units I'd bet. 

Thanks.  That gives me a good direction to focus on for my research.  

Thanks again, Al

Mr.Jerry

As a fellow flag enthusiast, I am continually blown away!

• 2 weeks later...
dhcoleterracina

Great stuff, well done. Did you see many flags there?