Civil War Era Hardee Hat - Preservation and Conservation ideas

Vintage Place

Vintage Place

I have these Civil War era hats, as well as one hat that looks like it is from WW1.  Would love help identifying exact type and value.

IMG_5971.jpeg

IMG_5972.jpeg

IMG_5973.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Vintage Place

Inherited civil war era hat.  Very very delicate.  Curious of exact era and who would've worn it.   Thanks in advance!

20210508_161550.jpg

USCapturephotos

Looks like the remains of an infantry Dress hat with “Jeff Davis” hat pin, infantry hunting horn and a #7 for the regiment. Where was it found?

Paul

USCapturephotos

I just realized that you inherited this. Any idea if it was from an ancestor and the state they may have been from?

Paul

M24 Chaffee

I agree with everything that Paul already said. Wow, that’s pretty cool even in that condition! 
Looks like a Civil War era Hardee Hat. Here’s a quick link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardee_hat
Yours has the infantry badge, regiment number, Jeff Davis pin and the ostrich feather plume adornment. It may be missing the hat cord, unless it’s in the box, which would have been blue for infantry. 
You can purchase a box and material made for proper preservation to keep it in or possibly a preservation safe display case. 
Is it from an ancestor or from a relative that was a collector?

Frank

Nice find, even in relic condition.

I would advise to not touch it until it is shown to a conservator.

Do you have any other information at all about the story?

Vintage Place

I wish I had more information.  My Uncle passed away in November and was a collector of many things.  I found this in an old 18 wheeler trailer in the back of his yard.  I almost threw it away, but it looked special.

Salvage Sailor

It's very special and now it needs to be preserved or passed on to a conservationist.  Otherwise the hat will fully disintegrate and only the badges will remain.

Vintage Place

I'd appreciate any thoughts on value.  Any recommended conservationists?

Salvage Sailor

Moving this topic to the Preservation Forum for some ideas and suggestions from our membership

M24 Chaffee

You could contact Rafael Eledge at Shiloh Civil War Relics http://www.shilohrelics.com/. He’s very knowledgeable, a good person and has a fine reputation 

He has mentioned a conservator that he knows and would recommend. Or, someone here may have a good source also.

Frank

• 8 months later...

Wonderful potential on that piece. Worth saving, won't be cheap or quick.

Technically:

PRESERVATION = stabilizing an artifact in its current condition so as to prevent further deterioration.

RESTORATION = returning an artifact to a faithfully close approximation of its original condition in a reversible manner.