12Kt. gold Artillery HQ. Military Division of the Mississippi Attributed to Horatio Nelson Towner - Battery B 1st IL Lt. Arty / Battery B /C 2nd IL Lt. Arty

John Fushi

12Kt. gold Artillery HQ. Military Division of the Mississippi, named to Horatio Nelson Towner. Enl. Sgt. at Chicago Battery B 1st. Illinois Lt. Arty 7/16/61. 2/22/62 Comm. 2nd Lt. Battery B 2nd Ill. Light Arty. 3/1/62 Comm. 2nd Lt. Battery C 2nd Ill. Light Artillery.

If you have any info on Horatio Nelson Towner please let me know. 

The photo of Sherman wearing a similar version is the only period photo I have seen of this badge. 

What my dealer & friend said about it - I had never seen this medal before and wasn't sure what it was until I saw it being worn by Generals Ewing and Poe on page 115 of Phillips Corps Badge book. He didn't have an example of it and made a line drawing of it above the photos.

Mississippi-H.N.Towner-1.jpg

IMG_6737.jpeg

scottiques

I believe that I still have an image of him (don't recall it selling).

It should be in one of my show stock binders, so it should be easy to find/ confirm.

I'll get back to you a little later this evening.

Scott

John Fushi
43 minutes ago, scottiques said:

I believe that I still have an image of him (don't recall it selling).

It should be in one of my show stock binders, so it should be easy to find/ confirm.

I'll get back to you a little later this evening.

Scott

Thank you so much, look forward to seeing it 🤞

scottiques

Here is the image.  Photographed by Barr and Young in Memphis and ink identified on the front.

In addition to the unit service you mentioned, Towner was the Assistant Chief of Artillery on the staff of both Grant and Sherman.  He was severely wounded at Missionary Ridge while carrying out the orders of U.S. Grant and later brevetted Captain and Major “for gallant and meritorious conduct at the storming of Mission Ridge, November 25th, 1863”.

Scott

Towner.jpg

John Fushi
1 minute ago, scottiques said:

Here is the image.  Photographed by Barr and Young in Memphis and ink identified on the front.

In addition to the unit service you mentioned, Towner was the Assistant Chief of Artillery on the staff of both Grant and Sherman.  He was severely wounded at Missionary Ridge while carrying out the orders of U.S. Grant and later brevetted Captain and Major “for gallant and meritorious conduct at the storming of Mission Ridge, November 25th, 1863”.

Scott

Towner.jpg

WOW, Thank you for posting this and the additional info. 

John