WWI 29th Infantry Division Grouping

FW12

OK, I went thru the whole thread, what is the NARA? For goodness sakes, the first time spell it out! :)

Dan H

National Archives and Records Administration. Check out their website, loads of great information on it. Under the Freedom of Information Act, you can request servicemen/women's records from NARA. It's a gold mine!

Beau

• 2 weeks later...

Beau-

Nice group!

The red cross label is off of one of his red cross bags...they were made by ladies back home of scrap material and given to the soldiers in the field to keep random stuff in...by the number of them that I've owned, they were pretty handy! (Most I've owned contained the vet's shaving kits...which may be the reason why the label got taken off yours, in case something like talcum powder spilled all over the inside of it!)

Also, if you're looking for nice groups with Purple Hearts, Scott Kraska of Bay State has two of my old groups...one a 79th group with TONS of paper and photos of the vet (including him wearing the PH in later years). A super, super group, though not of a Virignian...

I do have a uniform of a 26th Division artillery officer who was a local guy from Norfolk, Virignia...I'll keep you in mind if I ever go to part with it.

Dave

Beau-

Nice group!

The red cross label is off of one of his red cross bags...they were made by ladies back home of scrap material and given to the soldiers in the field to keep random stuff in...by the number of them that I've owned, they were pretty handy! (Most I've owned contained the vet's shaving kits...which may be the reason why the label got taken off yours, in case something like talcum powder spilled all over the inside of it!)

Also, if you're looking for nice groups with Purple Hearts, Scott Kraska of Bay State has two of my old groups...one a 79th group with TONS of paper and photos of the vet (including him wearing the PH in later years). A super, super group, though not of a Virignian...

I do have a uniform of a 26th Division artillery officer who was a local guy from Norfolk, Virignia...I'll keep you in mind if I ever go to part with it.

Dave

Dave:

Thanks for the info about the red cross label, that's fascinating. I'm always on the prowl for good groups, and if you ever decide to let that 26th group go or anything else Virginian, you know how to reach me!

Thanks!

Beau

Now that is sweet! w00t.gif Give me give me give me!!! Great grandpas was in the 29th in 1. Really would love a 29th jacket

Beau,

If you find anything out about O'Connor let me know! After I tried the NARA route and came up empty, he went back into flat storage until he went to you. I must of had that group 30 years or so. I may be PCS'ing back overseas to the UK, and have to decide what to do with this collection of mine. It would be a bear to move in household goods, and I think my wife and I are right up against the weight limit anyway.

John

• 3 years later...

I hate to revive a dead thread, but what a great grouping! As a NJ resident, a 114th regiment grouping is really awesome to me! I have a 29th uniform as well, but unfortunately it isn't ID'd and the discs are gone. I've been wanting to get 114th regiment discs and bring it back to it's original glory, but finding one has proved to be impossible.

I hope you have since found more information on this guy!

• 1 year later...

I am researching the 114th Infantry Regiment in WW I. I am not a collector, but your grouping intrigued me. Seeing a complete uniform of a soldier who had been "over there" with the 114th adds another level of appreciation to my work. I believe I can help identify your man.

In the roster appearing in the "History of the Twenty-Ninth Division" by Cutchins and Stewart (1921), there is a V. T. O'Conner, Pvt, Co E, 114th Inf. While O'Connor is the more common spelling, as on the Red Cross tag, there is no other V. O'Connor in the 29th. Misspellings of this sort are not uncommon, even in official records. In my opinion, Pvt V. T. O'Conner is definitely your man and now we have a middle initial. The division history also includes an Honor Roll for soldiers who were KIA or died from wounds or other causes. No O'Conner or O'Connor is listed with the 114th Honor Roll. Using Ancestry.com, I found no other military records for V. T. O'Conner.

However, in the 1930 New Jersey Census, a V. Thomas O'Conner, 33, appears in Jersey City as head of household with his wife, Theresa, 22; daughter, Anita, 2; and older brother, A. Joseph, 39. According to Census details, this is Thomas' first marriage occurring when he was age 30; Theresa 19. The 1930 Census has quite a bit of detail.

Most significantly, Thomas is shown to be a veteran. His older brother, Joseph, is not a veteran. Thomas was a salesman in the petroleum industry; his brother an auto "machinist". He and his brother were both born in New York; wife and daughter in New Jersey. The family was renting a duplex from the owner, David Herman, at 147 Wegman Parkway. Their rent is listed at $50 per month. Using to Google Maps street view, it appears the house is still there.

While this is not conclusive proof, it is highly probable V. Thomas O'Conner of Jersey City in 1930 is your V. O'Connor. The initials V. T. are uncommon. Paired with the name and state, we've got a highly probable match. Given that you have his Service Number definitive proof may be found with a search at NARA. I find it curious and perhaps not coincidental that the ID inscribed inside the uniform sleeve is smudged just where the spelling inconsistency appears.

From what I've learned about the 114th, Company E had the highest number of casualties in the regiment. My source for that statement is that Honor Roll in the division history by Cutchins above. Company E had 43 men KIA or died of wounds; 7 died from other causes. Next was Company B with 36; 6. While I cannot yet pinpoint where Company E was engaged, they were almost certainly involved in the fighting at Bois d'Ormont on October 12, 1918. On that single day, 86% of the KIA in the 114th occurred, according to Cutchins' Honor Roll. Reading between the lines in the division history, it appears Company E was exposed on the far right flank at Bois d'Ormont, in support of Company B, under heavy machine gun fire from the enemy.

A riveting description of the attack on Bois d'Ormont by Company B from an account written by Capt. William J. Reddan can be found in "To Conquer Hell" by Edward G. Lengel (2008). According to Reddan, of the approximately 200 men in the first wave assaulting Bois d'Ormont only 13 walked away. In direct support of Company B, Company D with 6 officers and 226 enlisted men "came out ... with only a remnant of 36 [enlisted] men", according to the division history.

I hope this helps. Thanks for preserving his uniform. It's original owner was involved in the regiments most significant combat action. When I complete my work on the 114th, I'll let you know.

post-139677-0-60074700-1383423135.jpgpost-139677-0-25037700-1383423246.jpgpost-139677-0-26118800-1383423410.jpg