Civil war purple heart value?

RS95B

A buddy of mine has a civil war purple heart that he is looking to sell.  He has the purple heart, the award card, and the guys 26 page military record from the national archive.  This solider was a 2nd Sergeant, in the 25th Iowa volunteer infantry.  He was wounded May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Miss.  I told him that I would ask around, and try to get a ball park value for him.  I searched the internet, and the forum, and could not really pin down a value.  If anyone here has an idea of the current market value on this, please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any help! Roland

dhcoleterracina

We have a thread on CW PH's with names added over time. Is that PH on this list or is it an unknown/newly discovered award? Before I could estimate a value, I'd like to see the medal and documentation. Big money for sure. 

There are only so many Civil War Purple Hearts, and I only know of one that has sold (or at least it was offered for sale, and is now unlocated). It went to many shows and sat at $10,000, flexible to $8000, and never moved. I have no idea what it finally sold for. It was not just the Purple Heart but the veteran's other medals as well, which did add some respectable additional value. 

I'm assuming this is going to be a very early Purple Heart award, as it should be. My gut feeling is that something in the vicinity of $4000 would be about right. It really depends on the buyer, but assuming the medal is correct and that it is in reasonably good condition, I think that's where I'd aim.

Since there are so few out there, it's really tough to put a value on it...it's more of what someone's willing to pay for it "just to own one". 

Personal opinion...I'm sure there are people who will agree and disagree...but it's really tough to say.

Dave

KASTAUFFER

I agree with Dave. It really depends on the unit and the action in conjunction with the fact it is a Civil War medal.

In looking at what other "rare" Purple Hearts have sold for ( Pearl Harbor, MOH recipients,  Span Am War , ETC) , My estimate falls in the 4-6K range for a "medal only". Layer on other medals and paperwork and the price goes up.

Kurt

Tom Lane sold his CW PH with other medals for $7K a few years ago.

Dave and Kurt are spot on with their analysis. 

Gary B

Here is the old post by Tom Lane on Civil War Purple Hearts.  One post has CW valued at $3500 by Wartime Collectibles.  Some of the CW PHs I've seen have condition issues which haven't been addressed in other posts concerning value.