Correct nomenclature/designation for this Pre-WWI Dated USMC Tunic?

militariaone

Greetings all,

Have viewed similar examples referred to as M1904. Just wished to confirm the correct designation for this model jacket? Unfortunately, it is not named, but in pretty decent shape.

Thank you, for your valuable time and consideration.

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

Picture6.jpg

Picture7.jpg

Picture8.jpg

I have seen it referred to as the 1904 EM special dress tunic. I think it was used on special assignments, Washington DC, etc., although I could be wrong. I saw one of these at the show last weekend with paddles on the shoulders which is incorrect. 

US Victory Museum

In a published work,  "Marine Corps Museum Cataloging and Identification Guide for 20th Century Uniforms" this coat (will you guys please stop calling

US coats "tunics"!) is referred to as the Enlisted Full Dress Coat.   This may be modern nomenclature; therefore, it would be best that you should

follow up by trying to identify whether this terminology exists in  Regulations Concerning the Equipments of the Officers and Enlisted Men of the United

States Marine Corps.  

Discontinued in 1912.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

As per the 1904 USMC Uniform Regulations this is the enlisted Full Dress coat.  The heading on the page does read "Special regulations" but there is no explanation to what that is about.

The same coat is described in the 1908 Uniform Regulations but "Special regulations" is not included. 

By 1912, it does not appear in regulations.