Patina is everything: common WWI USMC EGA on Ebay

themick

This EGA just  sold on Ebay for $133.49 with 19 bids from 11 bidders.  This is  a  common emblem for WWI USMC ones.  I warrant that if it had been in mint condition the  seller would have been lucky  to get half that amount.  It's a trend I've noticed on these.  If they are well worn so as to accentuate the details, lines/continents, they bring much more than a mint one would. I didn't bid on it as I already have some, but I guessed it would go in the $85 area.   Go figure...

Steve

WWI EGA.jpg

WWI EGA 2.jpg

Could be that inexperienced collectors feel more comfortable with a badge that shows wear and age instead of just focusing on variations and designs.

normaninvasion

Looks like that one is from a good collection being sold off, which may have something to do with the price. I haven't really followed EGA prices, but they seem to follow an ebb and flow, scarce/plenty cycle. Interesting that you notice a pattern with patina, wonder if folks need it for a helmet? Feel like these emblems were about $60 a couple years ago.

I think it's people can convince themselves that patina=combat worn

Patina or no patina, this price is unusual and a bit of a one-off, I think. Case of a couple people wanting it right now.

You are right, yet it is a pattern I've noticed for quite a while now.  Admittedly I like the  worn ones better as well as they show off the detail.  There is an element of aesthetic appeal here, no doubt which result in higher demand/prices.

Steve