M8 Scabbard Question: VP48

Kadet

Maybe just a mold marking and cant locate the info at the moment. Gary addresses the scabbards, markings for M3,M7 and M8 scabbards in is Bayonet Points in posts 6,7, and 18

if I understand it correctly all VP M8 or M8A1 were WW2  VP made which was a Division of  Beckwith Manufacturing if the BM Co marking is on the steel throat. IF V.P. CO marked on throat they are from the 1953 contract

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_18.htm?fbclid=IwAR1s74FNCCVy2R5MP4Y6CdVA903KzntR86iyEz2xA_IcvRSuybGSGGONt90

No association with a date.  The consensus these days among collectors is that they are most likely "mold numbers".  The size of the number and the relative order on when they appear seem very random when people have tried to track them. Some numbers seem to show up early during WW2 production, vanish, and then reappear again.

Found this info in Bayonet Points 6

The M3 scabbard and some of the M7s and M8s have no visible markings on the body. However, most M7 scabbards, the later M8 scabbards, the M8A1 scabbards, and the M1917 scabbards had the Victory Plastics logo molded into the body, along with a number. Mr. Wade stated that he believed the number to be a mold number for quality control, and that the scabbard throat covered the early numbers before it was moved lower on the body so it could be seen on the assembled scabbards. As the molds could be used for some time, the numbers are not an indicator of the sequence in which the body was made as the B/N numbers are.

Thanks! Here is the whole set. A few years ago I purchased a WWII 506th PIR group from the family. They found the bayonet and reached out to me. What sort of value do these have?

IMG_6791.jpg

I have a like new marked "47" and another "42".

These bayos go from $50 to $200 depending the day and venue.