Ellington Field Post Exchange Photo c1918

cwnorma

I found this great picture online and wanted to share with my fellow wing-nuts.

This is the interior of the Ellington Field Post Exchange circa 1918.  Some really great details.  Son in service banners, pillow shams, athletic wear, a leather jacket, and so much more!

I wonder how many wing badges are in that showcase behind the tailor?

Enjoy!

Chris

89898232_3099990253395176_6792669676896780288_n.jpg.2e517d8334a909c83d95d9a50660fa79.jpg

rustywings

Terrific image!  Ahhhhhhh, wouldn't it be grand to slide back in time for a quick visit to that Post Exchange!  The Air-Service pennants, son-in-service banners, leather flying coat and all of those hidden little aviation treasures in the glass display cases and behind the counters!!! Wow! Thanks for sharing Chris...

rustywings

And talk about "customer service!" When was the last time you entered a store and saw a dozen employees there ready to assist?  

Fun stuff Chris... thanks again!  

Great picture.  It is nice to fantasize about what lies under the glass... But I grew up as a Navy brat and spent many many many hours in various Navy Exchanges, post PXs, annex buildings, etc.  While there was always a small section set aside for uniforms and insignia, most of the space was for various nick-nacks to send home to the folks, personal and luxury items, after shave, and handkerchiefs etc.  I suspect that more than likely, those cases contained candy bars, soda pops, toiletry items, stationary for writing home, and general souvenir stuff (KEEP EM FLYING Elington Field hankies). 

In fact, the last time I was in the Henderson Hall Exchange, the area containing engagement/wedding rings was larger than the area for buying insignia (and we all know how much the USMC likes its bling!).  There was a whole floor dedicated to Christmas decorations.

Ahhh, but in my dreams, there are rank upon rank of Dallas wings (all different versions), Shreve and Tiffany, bullion, and special "hand crafted by Hopi silver smiths" versions.  $1.79 each)... 

rustywings

I understand Ellington was one of the first Army Airfields to specialize in advanced aerial bombing training...  But even then, the new BMA graduates had to travel to jewelry stores  in downtown Houston to buy those wonderful, but unauthorized, Bombing Military Aviator badges...  

BMA6.jpg

Russ, I believe you've now exceeded your quota of amazing wings.  You need to leave some for the rest of us!

1 hour ago, bschwartz said:

Russ, I believe you've now exceeded your quota of amazing wings.  You need to leave some for the rest of us!

I concur!  Russ, you have so many!  You are going to have to send some to me for safekeeping. 😉

BMA2.jpg.52683d3dcba165f2790b81db114103c9.jpg

rustywings

Those are stunning original BMA examples Chris!  In venturing a guess, could your top speciman be made by J.E. Caldwell & Co?  And the lower example produced by Dan Dunham, in San Antonio?  Thank you for providing us with another eye-opening thread.