Embroidered Navy Wings

Militiaman

Militiaman

All, 

I posted these in the Unknown/ID forum and was told they may be a pattern of US, pre-WW2 (circa 1930's 40's) Navy Pilot Wings.  Have any of you wing collectors run across these before? I recently pulled them out of a Korean War veterans estate.  I was able to get a mix of around 20 pieces.  All authentic WW2 German, IJN and US stuff, nothing later than the early 50's in the lot.  

Thanks for the help! 

Unk.Wings Obv.jpg

Unk.Wings Rev.jpg

Militiaman

Justin, 

Thank you VERY MUCH for this information, and for the time you took to hunt this down and post it here! 

GREATLY appreciated.  

Robert

There was a very similar badge posted here:

1 hour ago, Militiaman said:

Justin, 

Thank you VERY MUCH for this information, and for the time you took to hunt this down and post it here! 

GREATLY appreciated.  

Robert

Not a problem! But I should stress that is just a guess on what they may be, I have never seen that style on a uniform or anything more conclusive.

Militiaman

Of course.  Best lead I have so far, though! 

My thanks to you again. 

Robert

1 hour ago, Justin B. said:

Not a problem! But I should stress that is just a guess on what they may be, I have never seen that style on a uniform or anything more conclusive.

I suspect that these are more than likely intended for wear on baseball caps or other civilian attire (like A2 jackets or jean jackets) and really don't fall into the realm of military insignia.  For me, the backing is the give away, as I suspect the white material is likely an artificial fabric material.

Here is a thread on NAP Rates and there are some Strikers included in the thread.

John

Just a thought, most, in fact almost, almost, all NAPs were rated petty officers, BUT one occasionally runs across a seaman, usually a S1c, who had been designated an NAP.  Wonder where this type wings might fit into that picture.

Militiaman

I really appreciate everyone and their efforts on this.  I’ve learned quite a bit!  

For what it’s worth, the white backing is UV negative, and the material burns quickly to ash. 

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

I actually agree with pfrost, I have seen them on civilian look alike jackets and hats.  I feel very confident that they are computer embroidered wings.  Semper Fi - Jeff

David Minton
Just a thought, most, in fact almost, almost, all NAPs were rated petty officers, BUT one occasionally runs across a seaman, usually a S1c, who had been designated an NAP.  Wonder where this type wings might fit into that picture.

While I won’t offer an opinion either way on this particular patch, just wanted to clarify that even when a patch wasn’t authorized, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t produced on a military contract. Particularly during WWII the manufacturers didn’t always distinguish the few ratings that didn’t exist at all rates (e.g. Turret Captain 2c and 3c), and made all rates and strikers for every rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff and David, 

Thank you both very much for the additional information and your insight!  I truly appreciate it.  

Robert