Confederate tintype

twining540

Recently purchased this. It measures roughly 9 3/4"x8". It's depicting a confederate soldier with what I believe is a Harper's Ferry rifle. I have personally never seen a tintype this size or a confederate for that matter. What are your thoughts?

20210515_124141.jpg

20210515_124131.jpg

20210515_124907.jpg

20210515_124859.jpg

twining540

Not sure if the tag on the back has anything to do with the tintype or was just stuck to it throughout the years. 

USCapturephotos

Hey Twining. That looks like a reenactor image to me. Large tintypes are rare. I don’t have the measurements of a “whole plate” off the top of my head but the subject matter and the image size makes me have serious doubts on this one. Sorry.

Paul

ludwigh1980

That's an odd piece for sure. The frame and the patina of the wood look consistent for a 19th Century and it appears to be an original tin type (versus something modern). When did they start doing re-enactments? Maybe some-one dressed up like Grandpa and made an image in the 1890's. Full plate tintype size is 6 1/2" by 8 1/2". 

Blacksmith
30 minutes ago, twining540 said:

Last two photos are of the reverse 

Hirsca is referring to the image on the obverse being backwards (reversed).  If you look at the “CS” on the buckle, it’s backwards.  Not sure if it’s the tintype, or something that happened when posting the pics.

suwanneetrader

Didn't tin types always be a reverse view?   Also when I re enacted in the 1960s all the larger battles had a picture wagon or studio.  Back then you could tell the new images from the original CW period ones when held in hand and examined.   That was 60 years ago so I can not help you much on this image.  Richard

dhcoleterracina

I had a CS tin type which I donated to a museum years ago (big mistake, another topic). The CS plate on my photo was in reverse. You should reach out to the many CW dealers who can give you the thumbs up or down pretty quickly.   

scottiques

Hope you don't have much in it/ can get a refund if sold as original era.

Agree with some of the others-- reenactor/ modern dress up image.  No doubts.

Subjects whole persona is off from what I typically see in era images.

The background used looks like a typical 1890s background, chair looks to be out of era and finally the label on the back is late 20th century.

Scott

twining540

Didn't pay much for it, so no real loss. I appreciate the input and knowledge shared.

Thanks,

Todd

everforward

+1 on it being a reenactor-living history piece, what I’d call a ‘campaigner quality’ effort..... There are guys out there that do really decent work.