1st Army Chemical or Chaplain?

mortaydc60

mortaydc60

Saw this on ebay as a !st Army Chemical. Looking closer the color insert did not look BLUE to me. Took a chance and won the patch and sure enough it is BLACK. Is this just a rare error or something else such as Chaplain. Would like some opinions please.

Mort

s-l1600-80.jpg

s-l1600-79.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Yes it does look navy blue, I enlarged it to look closer and it's definitely a different shade than the black A

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

mortaydc60

Thanks guys,you are both right. It is BLUE but very, very dark blue and not what the average navy blue for the chemical should be. Using the correct terminology it has too much saturation and value. Perhaps the dye lot was off on this lot.

Mort

kiaiokalewa

Of course we can get into all sorts of disagreements about these Fully Embroidered Branch SPECIFIC FIRST ARMY Shoulder Insignia (that were made for collectors) but here's what a really "Adjutant General Corps" First Army patch is supposed to look like.  

As for the case of light blue vs. dark blue is a matter of artistic licensing and what happened to match the color black was used for the panel in this particular case.  From a distances you couldn't tell if it was a very dark blue or black.  

Cobalt blue was used for Chemical Corps as pointed out and a solid black panel for Chaplin Corps.

20210516_083545.jpg

kiaiokalewa

Correction: "but here's what a really...to look like"

Should had read:  But here's what a real "GENERAL STAFF CORPS" First Army patch is supposed to look like.  

kiaiokalewa

Color chart of Branch Colors from the 1943 National Geographic Magazine featuring U.S. Army Insignia.

Screenshot_20210516-142525_Chrome.jpg