US Military hat??

hink441

I recently obtained this old hat and was looking for some info. I think it is from the late 1800’s possibly earlier. Looks to have US Military buttons on the side. Looks like something was attached to the front of the hat. 

Here are some pics.

Thank you for looking. 

91F59048-665E-457D-914D-89C637519295.jpeg

99432408-26E6-477F-A2A8-A1E2CD644DC7.jpeg

5047E99F-93C1-4637-8E3B-23A528A117DA.jpeg

AFC43F41-6F53-4D0F-954F-E15C1DCB5A4B.jpeg

9C806A8B-78B2-45A6-827D-24ABEE077E2D.jpeg

38 minutes ago, ludwigh1980 said:

Fraternal....possible GAR or even fire department related. Not federal army or the like. 

Thank you. I thought it could be a GAR veteran’s hat. Are those Federal buttons on the hat? I thought they were US buttons, but they could have been added later. 

ludwigh1980

They are Army staff officers button however they were widely available through regalia suppliers which often made Officers (both federal and national guard) kit as well as fraternal material. It was probably the preference of the original owner to have those installed and may have been simply because he liked the look of them versus any service affiliation. Some fraternal organization would mirror federal regulation as far as uniform cut so closely that in period photo's it is some-times difficult for a positive attribution.  Knight of Pythias was one such organization. I have also seen private ambulance companies and prison guards wear similar caps. It might prove interesting to google the name of the maker inside as that is not a well known or prolific supplier of such equipment (at least that I have come across).

I tried to find info on the manufacturer but have come up empty. There was a matching name in the town that was an career educator. Have not tied the name to any business yet. Still looking😳

ludwigh1980

Found a G.S. Maurer of Lavelle Pennsylvania that was a member of the Pennsylvania State Education Association in 1919. It looks like he was a member of the Patriotic Order of American in 1900 and was a National Secretary. So it looks like that stamp is the actual owner and not the maker. So that is probably his cap from that organization. 

14 minutes ago, ludwigh1980 said:

Found a G.S. Maurer of Lavelle Pennsylvania that was a member of the Pennsylvania State Education Association in 1919. It looks like he was a member of the Patriotic Order of American in 1900 and was a National Secretary. So it looks like that stamp is the actual owner and not the maker. So that is probably his cap from that organization. 

Interesting, I didn’t think of that possibility. I will look in that direction. Thank you!!