Strap -- 1917

zitocland

Hi'

When the strap date and who is the manufacturer...?

there is an anchor inside the hook ?!?!

Thank you in advance.

david

dragonne_ancre.JPG

dragonne_ancre_2.JPG

dragonne_ancre_3.JPG

dragonne_ancre_4.jpg

General Apathy

Hi David, it's a pistol lanyard, commonly used WWI and up to WWII, very easy to find even today and also unused ones as so many were made.

Cheers ( Lewis )

David, I have one exactly like the second one pictured. Weird thing is the lanyard is very, very long. The clasp has the anchor and the metal band over the strap is stamped RIA on mine. I think the strap is over 4 feet long on mine, not really sure how it would have been used. Wish I could tell you more about yours, I'm still trying to figure out what I have.

Steve

David, I have one exactly like the second one pictured. Weird thing is the lanyard is very, very long. The clasp has the anchor and the metal band over the strap is stamped RIA on mine. I think the strap is over 4 feet long on mine, not really sure how it would have been used. Wish I could tell you more about yours, I'm still trying to figure out what I have.

Steve

I saw several semplified lanyards like this second all unmarked. Someone stamped RIA on it for sale appeal.

General Apathy

post-344-1233652642.jpgpost-344-1233652662.jpg

post-344-1233652700.jpg

David, Steve, Solcarlus & Artu, Gentlemen allow me put my thoughts to you, the first lanyard is genuine and the second one is made up to look like and sell as a lanyard.

The first is genuine and either quartermaster or manufacturer made, the quality and finish is superior, the woven cord is tightly made and ' waxed', evidenced by the shine on the cord. The clasp above the spring clip is machine clamped and stamped with patent dates. There is a nice blackened brass ring adjuster.

The second lanyard has been ' home' made from a vehicle aerial tie down cord. it is almost the same cord but loosely woven making it more flexible, also it is not ' waxed '. Notice the difference in the two photographs how stiff and shiny the cord is in the first photograph and how soft and limp the cord is is the second photograph. The tie down aerial cord comes with the small spring clip which is almost identical to the correct lanyard spring clip. Note that the clasp clamping the the loose ends of the cord is unevenly finished possibly with pliers, and it's possible to see a small cutout in the metal.

So these aerial tie down cords are easily available in quantity selling around 5 dollars, the WWI lanyard sells around 20 to 50 dollars, no prises for seeing a profit there.

We presently use these aerial tie down cords with our M-8 armored cars and I have lanyards in my collection and sold the original lanyards whilst dealing I can see the differences and the similarities and how this can be done.

Sorry I don't have a close up of the tie down cord, but looking below the red and white striped store blind it is just possible to see them in use in the photograph above.

Cheers ( Lewis )

post-344-1233652642.jpgpost-344-1233652662.jpg

post-344-1233652700.jpg

David, Steve, Solcarlus & Artu, Gentlemen allow me put my thoughts to you, the first lanyard is genuine and the second one is made up to look like and sell as a lanyard.

The second lanyard has been ' home' made from a vehicle aerial tie down cord. it is almost the same cord but loosely woven making it more flexible, also it is not ' waxed '. Notice the difference in the two photographs how stiff and shiny the cord is in the first photograph and how soft and limp the cord is is the second photograph. The tie down aerial cord comes with the small spring clip which is almost identical to the correct lanyard spring clip. Note that the clasp clamping the the loose ends of the cord is unevenly finished possibly with pliers, and it's possible to see a small cutout in the metal.

So these aerial tie down cords are easily available in quantity selling around 5 dollars, the WWI lanyard sells around 20 to 50 dollars, no prises for seeing a profit there.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Thanks for the info. Deep down, something didn't seem right about these. I did not pay very much for mine, but can consider it an educational expense! Mine could almost be used as a jumprope it is so long.

Thanks for the info. Deep down, something didn't seem right about these. I did not pay very much for mine, but can consider it an educational expense! Mine could almost be used as a jumprope it is so long.

Well, the lanyard marked pat feb 20 17 is a genuine WWI item and since years the marked offers a lot of them minty. I bought mine in 2004 for 40$ and after I discovered the seller had a box full of them and he was not the only one, then today the price is lowered consequently.

The other quite crude item appeared to me for the first time two or three tears ago on e bay France where it was advertised as Navy or USMC lanyards because the hook was marked with an anchor. Of course it means only that hook was made by Anchor Brand. In the following months it continued to be offered on ebay France and I bought one asking US buddies if it could be an ugly repro or a "french made" US issue. They told me they never saw such an item but also that they heard nothing about WWI lanyard repros: there was so many mint originals available that a faker would have incurred in bankrupcy. In the meanwhile I asked french buddies about my idea of "french made" piece but they answered that a guy got a box full of them from USA. At the end we agreed it could be a possible late WWI model unusued just like its 1917 brother.

And that's all. Moreover I dont think a repro maker would so smart to make neatly coils with his fakes exactly like originals.

post-67-1233670704.jpg

post-67-1233670721.jpg

for them being so long, is it possible that its designed to have some slack when pistol is drawn full extended-arm out and the laynyard is attached to the back of the belt? good pics and info!

Form what I remember from period pics, the lanyard is slung across the opposite shoulder. If you dropped an unholstered pistol, it would hang across the body like a map case.

Johan Willaert
From what I remember from period pics, the lanyard is slung across the opposite shoulder. If you dropped an unholstered pistol, it would hang across the body like a map case.

The MP in the middle has the lanyard attached to the .45 pistol on this picture from my collection. You can see it coming from the left shoulder across the chest and attached to the pistol grip.

Picture was taken in April/May 1944 during rough terrain riding practice in England...

C0962a.jpg

The MP in the middle has the lanyard attached to the .45 pistol on this picture from my collection. You can see it coming from the left shoulder across the chest and attached to the pistol grip.

Picture was taken in April/May 1944 during rough terrain riding practice in England...

C0962a.jpg

whot?????? flying helmets?!!! flying helmets...tankers helmets...M1 helmets...the US ARMY did'nt have a standard motorbike helmet like the british did...