Glider Pilot Wing collection examples

MAA

So who loves Glider Pilots??  Not often you get to see several variants together ~ thought I would share with the community.  Pictured are: Sterling, Firmin/Gaunt pattern,  Angus & Coote, Balfour, Juarez pattern, bullion variation, Amcraft, Meyer, Amico, Ludlow pattern, A.E. Co., English made variation.  Enjoy!  

IMG_4216.JPG

A really nice collection!  Could you please share images of the reverse of the wings as well?  Thank you.

Mike

Very nice!  I collect Gliders as well and am very interested in seeing the backs of the English wings and especially the Angus & Coote.  Great Collection!

Just stunning! Is a real treat to see such a variety of Glider Pilot’s Wings. What pattern/maker is your favorite? I sure wish I had bought one of the Ludlow Glider Pilot’s Wings you had up on your website a while ago.
Firman and Gaunt Wings get all the glory. The Ludlow’s seem to be the red headed stepchild of the English made Wings. Would love to have one of the Ludlow Glider Wings someday. Will talk to you soon Dave!

• 1 year later...

In as much as I’m no expert on these I’m curious what the opinions are on the two sets of glider pilot shirt wings listed for sale. The back of the first set makes me wonder about them. If they are real I’m thinking they are post war. The second set I have no idea about. Assessments please.

1602B64F-DD44-45D9-A6C3-82966AD86592.jpeg

D03F9E64-0D50-4022-8081-BBEF5CA8B0F6.jpeg

5BC2D387-2150-4ED8-A46C-01A228CBFEF7.jpeg

1C99C11D-D6B2-46F4-9AD0-2182D273413F.jpeg

B925018C-123C-45AF-BCF0-4816F7F9040F.jpeg

289E3360-7E55-4D16-9677-4E25F742DBB8.jpeg

WarRelics, the small Glider Pilot wing has a slight outside chance of being authentic?  

The full-size (2.75 inch) clutch-back Glider Pilot wing is a complete current fabrication and usually available at local air-shows and air-race events for $4 to $6 bucks each!  

If you’re still in contact with the seller, ask him if his liberal use of the word “Vintage” should include the years 2020 and 2021?

Okay, thanks to both of you for your input. I haven’t had contact with the sellers of the wings and have  no interest in purchasing either of them. I was applying what I have learned about jump wings to these pilots wings and felt something is off with them. The clutch backs don’t look right to me. I was thinking that the back didn’t look right. I also knew that the prongs were wrong for WWII as well. You both have confirmed my suspicions that they are fake. As for the pin back wings the sterling mark seems to big and is incised. I have read on the forum those marks are the easiest faked. If I were looking at glider pilot wings I’d shy away from these I believe. Thanks again. 

Okay thanks. I’m not experienced or knowledgeable enough to know for sure about either. I defer to your assessment. It’s information I can put to good use in the future. Thanks again! 

Thanks. That’s helpful to know. Now that you say that I think I read that on the forum about miniature parachute wings as well somewhere on here. Thanks again. 

5thwingmarty

The little 1-3/8" Glider Pilot wing is from Bell Trading Post/Walter Lampl.  I have not seen a Glider Pilot wing in this pattern with a Bell hallmark, but I have one with the Walter Lampl hallmark.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found these wings which are unmarked but appear similar to the sterling and hallmarked variants. They measure 1.5 inches across as well.

E34C35C4-ADF9-48D2-96FF-D8474CF1027C.jpeg

6D9269CF-839E-48D6-BB78-B88952659927.jpeg

EA94E9C2-AB3F-490A-ADDB-16D61407CFBE.jpeg

EB28DE31-E405-4D04-AA53-D9B45EE0453E.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I’m posting my two examples of 1.5 inch miniature glider pilot wings. Example 1 is hallmarked Coro and sterling.
Example 2 I previously posted and are unhallmarked wings.

Example 1

IMG_3898.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

IMG_3902.jpeg

To my knowledge, the first 1-inch example WarRelics showed above in post #6 is part of a seven piece set of the same wing design design (I've never seen a Service or Liaison pilot in this series). The examples in my set are all stamped sterling and have roller catches (some of mine are missing the central roller element) or a simple hook catch. The Glider wing in my set is the only one with a maker mark: WL (see inset pic).

1-Inch AAF Wing Set.jpg

I have always believed that these little guys were made by a wholesale manufacturer who sold insignia to various retail sources. Walter Lampl was located on the East coast (IIRC New Jersey/New York area) and didn't actually make their own material.  Again, based on my research, they were more a retail supplier of sweetheart, patriotic jewelry and some wings and insignia.  I have always suspected that they were using a producer in the South West (and perhaps to some extent Mexico) which is why the are called "Juarez" wings.

Bell Trading company of New Mexico (again if I recall correctly) also appear to have made and marked these small wings with their own hallmark.  Its not clear if Bell was the actually manufacturer or just used a similar source.  Still, you will find this mark with WL, Bell, and now it seems Coro.  It does seem that about 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 or so of these little wings were marked with some hallmark.

Like Bell, and Lampl wings, the pin and hinge are usually distinctive, the pin made of brass and its typicallly cinched into the hinge.  Because its a weak design, you frequently find these with the pin missing.  Also for some reason, about half of these wings (as well as Bell and Lampl wings) have the "G" upside down on the STERLING mark.

I agree, I don't think I have seen the Service or Liaison wing in this pattern, but I do have a flight surgeon version that seems to be very rare.

post-1519-0-19641700-1393830572.jpg

post-1519-0-44483900-1393832370.jpg

8 hours ago, pfrost said:

Like Bell, and Lampl wings, the pin and hinge are usually distinctive, the pin made of brass and its typicallly cinched into the hinge.  Because its a weak design, you frequently find these with the pin missing.  Also for some reason, about half of these wings (as well as Bell and Lampl wings) have the "G" upside down on the STERLING mark.

And some are marked COIN SILVER like their 3-inch Lampl/Juarez cousins.

Really like that flight surgeon Patrick!  Not sure I have seen one of those before.