What type of whistles did the Military Police carry in Vietnam?

CavalryCombatant

CavalryCombatant

As my never ending journey to improve my military police display progresses,  I’ve reached a spot where I’m looking to get an original MP dress whistle.

While I’ve been looking, I haven’t been able to find much about the types of whistles that were actually used. I’ve seen a couple styles come up, but they don’t look to be exactly what I’m looking for.

I know during WWII their whistles were made out of brass, but I’m not sure that the Vietnam war whistles were made out of the same material, I’m assuming aluminum or a similar material.

For the sake of interesting content in the thread, I’ll include a couple styles that I’ve found as well as a photo of the style I’m looking for.

First one: silver-ish colored, stamped “Military” on one side, and “Made in USA” on the other side.  I thought this might be right but the chain appears to be balls and not a standard chain.

Second one: Brass whistle, stamped “Official Military” and “Made in USA”.  This one seems to be the closest one I’ve seen thus far, excluding the seemingly replacement parts on it.

Third one: Stainless steel, seemingly.  These appear to be modern and not military, but for the sake of it I’ll include it for discussion.

My biggest problem with the above examples is their use of a different hooking mechanism, looks like a clip of some sort as apposed to the above ones which appear to hook around a button.

And if anyone has any period examples of Military Police whistles, that’d be greatly appreciate

Thanks for any information you may be able to share!

CC

8CC324D5-5290-4CA2-83B5-958AFFE45AE7.jpeg

6B25F40F-33FF-4F54-8CD9-65C35F0F13C8.jpeg

E8C4E9CB-9B95-48DD-B9A5-8198B60FBA4E.jpeg

B121C0A8-5ED1-481D-9DCF-8F135584EC8C.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

Nice topic, just for kicks, here's the MP branch insignia whistle hooks to hang them on

IMG_9951.JPG

Hi CavalryCombatant - Whistles were never worn with fatigues and fatigues are what was worn by almost 

all MPs.  The exception would be in some special locations were khakis were worn.  Whistles were basically

nothing more than ornamentation.  The polished brass Acme Thunderer was the one used most often.  As

I recall the army issued an OD plastic whistle with a black cord, but we trashed these in favor of the polished

brass purchased at the PX. 

I just want to clarify that my reply pertains to Vietnam.  Of course polished whistles were part 

all Class A and summer duty uniforms.  Units that adopted silver colored insignia used silver

colored whistles.  Just like insignia, there are dozens of varieties of whistles that were used.

Keep in mind that pea whistles or police whistles were used by coaches, military cadre and in

the 1960s, probably still in use by some civilian police departments.  

• 1 year later...