CASE M4 Bayonet Up for Study

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Just found this CASE blade-dated M4 on ebay. Ebay item # 303995382112, w/ a starting price of $673.  I'm pretty sure we saw this , or one similar a few years back. Let's check it out and see some of the of the things that may bring it into question on legitimacy. I do not know the seller, nor am I questioning his integrity. If someone could post the ad it would be appreciated.   SKIP

Just a quick observation.

The tang peen is obviously fake…once I see that I don’t need to look any further but:

The edge has no white line so was Parkerized after the edge was applied.  The blade stampings look fake to me, "M" in M3 looks different than on a real Case M3. The handle is in too poor condition to go w/the rest of the knife if the finish was original…..the blade doesn’t show scratches or much wear from the M8 sheath.  The flats on the blade grind, main edge and top false edge show striations perpendicular to the edges…especially on the false edge….I think that’s an M7 bayonet blade. I don't believe you won’t see those striations on a WWII made M3 or M4 blade.
See Bill Walters Book I page 175, and 33-35.

Mikedon- I fully concur. CASE "V" cut grooves on M4s tend to be not as deep, with a thicker handle. Lots of questions here?  SKIP

EmperorWangDong

The Standard Products stamping on the pommel also appears to look a little odd to me as well as everything else mentioned.

When you check out the finish work on the CASE M3 blade, you don't see the grind marks, blades were buffed down smooth, then bluing added. Big difference with the one in question.  Agree it is from an M7, guessing maybe a MILPAR, by the blade shape.  The majority of recycled M3 blades that I have seen were not dated (remember the dates were taken off due to breakage, along with the name & US). Also, all the rebuilds seen have rubber handles, decent or rough.  My Camillus, and RCC.  SKIP

20200712_143935 (1).jpg

FWIW- Recently saw a picture of an M4 stamped on the guard like the one above, except it was a 50s wide guard.  CASE did not make leather handled, wide guard M4s in the 1950s, or plastic handled for that matter.  SKIP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Kevin11B- Case did not produce M4s after WW2. The leather washered handles were removed, and rebuilt with plastic grips. Can't tell a whole lot from the ad. SKIP

Ok thanks guys.  I guess the key is case didn’t make m4 after ww2.  So not a rare post war case. Gotta watch that darn eBay.   I need to buy some books but every time I have a few bucks I spend it on a knife! 🙂 I know I have the process backwards.  But you guys help me a lot.  Misfit helped inform me and I got a real nice kinfolks m4.    Thanks again 

EmperorWangDong
17 hours ago, Kevin11b said:

Ok thanks guys.  I guess the key is case didn’t make m4 after ww2.  So not a rare post war case. Gotta watch that darn eBay.   I need to buy some books but every time I have a few bucks I spend it on a knife! 🙂 I know I have the process backwards.  But you guys help me a lot.  Misfit helped inform me and I got a real nice kinfolks m4.    Thanks again 

The books will pay for themselves before the first time you make a bad purchase. They are worth the investment.

Totally agree with you both. In fact skip I tried to find the one you recommended coniglio and laden but couldn’t find it anywhere. Of course you made that suggestion in 2013! So that’s y I am having trouble now. 

Here is the m4 I got with misfits help even has the sanding marks on the guard underside he told me to look for  (thanks Marv) Really without this forum and all your help newcomers would have trouble  Kevin 

DA983222-5EAA-4CEC-91DC-DE2717FF8BC5.jpeg

31571651-1308-42E9-924E-3522BEFB813D.jpeg

767FA135-714C-4A76-9FD1-E1DEF2A9EA50.jpeg

7ABBAD86-3DC7-4BE9-9B44-0C9B232DFD8E.jpeg